Allied arts center opens haunted Milledgeville exhibit

Isabella+McConis
BELLA MCCOMIS
Isabella McConis

Allied Arts is a local nonprofit organization seeking to share art and inspiration throughout the community of Milledgeville. Throughout the month of October, Allied Arts has been hosting its first annual Haunted Milledgeville exhibit. 

The exhibit began on Thursday, Oct. 5, and will continue until Tuesday, Oct. 31 in the Allied Arts Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. each day until the exhibit is closed.

The Haunted Milledgeville exhibit boasts works from both professional and amateur artists, including students and alumni from GC. It was brought together by program coordinator Kristin Allen and seeks to bring Halloween themed events to Milledgeville in time for the spooky season.

The event holds a mix of art and photography from Milledgeville’s most notoriously haunted locations.

“I want to display my art to hopefully help inspire any artist, young or old, to keep creating,” said Edward Lee Burnam, an artist involved in the exhibit. “This is my first time being involved. All the responses and compliments have made me want to continue to share my art with [Allied Arts] and our community.”

There are a wide variety of categories, including, but not limited to, Central State Hospital, GC’s Sanford Hall and Harrison House, the Governor’s Mansion, the Tate-Walker House, Memory Hill Cemetery, the Voodoo Murders of 1887 and the Georgia State Prison Farm. 

Many locations around Milledgeville have deep and often chilling histories behind them. This exhibit showcases this history through works of art. Included with the displays in the exhibit are booklets that offer additional information about the history behind the art.

Along with all these pieces are also general spooky and Halloween-themed works. It aims to encourage viewers to not only enjoy the art but learn more about Baldwin County’s darker past and — potentially supernatural — locations.

“I was interested in participating because I knew I had some season-appropriate artwork,” said Audrey Crumbley, an artist and GC alumni involved in the exhibit. “I began watercolor painting in 2015 by taking a class through Continuing Education at Georgia College.”

Many GC alumni have worked with the Allied Arts Center to return their talents to the Milledgeville community. This allows the artist to show what they learned at GC and the community to celebrate them for their impressive works.

“My first art show in Milledgeville was at GCSU during a group senior exhibit,” said Paige Griffin, an artist and GC alumni involved in the exhibit. “As a fan of spooky things, I became inspired to create my own eerie photographs, specifically for the show.”

These artists becoming and maintaining involvement in the Milledgeville art community is what Allied Arts is about. The Haunted Milledgeville exhibit will return next year as well to begin what is planned to become an annual event. Students, staff and the community are encouraged to stop by and celebrate these local artists. 

Allied Arts is located at 201 N Wayne St. and can be contacted at 478-452-3950.