2023 senior bowl games

Reese’s Senior Bowl logo

The NFL has announced that juniors who elect to go to the draft and skip their final year of eligibility can now play in the East-West Shrine Bowl, the Senior Bowl and the HBCU Legacy Bowl. 

These bowl games were originally meant to give senior football players a chance to play in a game with multiple scouts. This allows players to get the chance to showcase their talents for a better chance to get drafted in the NFL. With what the NFL has now changed, the players who are juniors that decide to leave early and enter the draft are now also allowed to play in the senior bowls. 

Juniors were previously only allowed to participate in the NFL Scouting Combine and pro days at their own school. This decision opens up more opportunities for juniors to prove that they can play in a real game, as they are no longer limited to combines. 

Star players, like Caleb Williams, Brock Bowers, Marvin Harrison Jr. and Keon Coleman will all be able to showcase their talents in these games if they elect to do so, although these games are meant for low-profile players, who are typically trying to improve their draft stock. 

The games could open up to the entire draft class, which would be the first time ever in the league’s history. However, the inclusion of draft-eligible juniors could potentially draw attention away from the seniors that are looking to impress scouts.

The Senior Bowl currently only has one commitment to play in the game so far, but with it being the most crucial part of the season, there are not too many players looking to play in an all-star game at the moment. 

“I really like the idea of letting the younger guys play in the games,” said Brooks Whitley, a junior management major. “I think they deserve a chance to showcase their skills as much as the rest of the seniors do, so I am excited to see players like Brock Bowers get out there and show what he can do.” 

The participation of draft-eligible juniors will definitely bring entertainment to the fans, and give a greater incentive to watch the games.

“I like how I can watch the players that I am most excited to see play in the NFL in these all-star games,” said Connor Childers, a junior business major. “I get more excited for the juniors to play in the games because they are the players that typically have the most hype going into the draft every year.”