GC supports Camp HOPE in Central Georgia

pixaby
Children at summer camp

Camp HOPE of Central Georgia is a week-long overnight summer camp for children who have been impacted or exposed to domestic violence, child abuse or sexual abuse. The camp is affiliated with Crisis Line and Safe House and partnered with the One Safe Place Macon Family Justice Center.

GC is encouraging agencies, organizations and students to sponsor children and backpacks. A $400 donation covers the entire cost of a child, including the cost of room and board and other summer camp supplies. A $100 donation covers the cost of a backpack for a child, which will provide items such as a towel, goggles, sunscreen and bug spray.

“We are trying to raise money to help support the kids so that they can have more kids involved with no cost to the families,” said Carrie Cook, a criminal justice professor at GC. “The agencies the students are targeting are primarily law enforcement agencies in the counties that serve Camp HOPE.”

Summer camp is a place for kids to socialize and make new friends. It not only benefits kids’ independence but also builds their self-confidence. It can be a fun place to learn new skills and experience new environments, many calling it a home away from home.

“I went to camp for five years as a kid, and I worked there for three years,” said Jordan Spydner, a junior psychology major. “The main thing that I got out of it was the relationships I built, not only with my friends but with the counselors too. I’m looking into volunteering because I think it’s a really good cause.” 

Camp HOPE is a nationwide movement. It is an opportunity for the kids to just be kids. Last year, 28 kids attended the camp in Georgia, and there are 56 spots for 2024. Kids can enjoy the many benefits of summer camp and participate in activities such as kayaking and arts and crafts, along with many others.

“When you think back to your childhood memories, you think about the little things that excited you, or you remember really fun weeks,” said Adriana Duque, a junior criminal justice major. “I feel like the people working at Camp HOPE are great people, and I think those children experiencing this will think back and cherish those memories and remember the people that changed their lives.”

Camp HOPE’s mission is to create a nurturing and safe environment that will provide the kids with everything they need to enjoy a week of fun. It is an opportunity for growth and positivity and to help kids remember that their future is bright.

“I think that Camp HOPE has a great cause because it strives to make children feel more validated in their feelings, more validated in what happened to them and remind those kids that it’s OK to feel the way you feel,” said Rory Albrecht, a senior criminal justice major, “Just because you were forced to grow up in this situation doesn’t mean that you can’t still be a child here. If I had a million dollars right now, I would definitely throw every last cent that I could at Camp HOPE, and I believe that this cause can go way beyond just helping kids escape for a week.”

A bake sale tabling event will be held on the GC campus on April 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. to raise money for Camp HOPE. There will also be tabling in front of the Milledgeville Walmart, but the date has not been announced. Camp HOPE strives to be in every state, as many kids are exposed to domestic violence and will benefit from this experience. GC students have the opportunity to support this cause.