Zendaya’s history of iconic theme dressing

Zendaya+
Kylie Rowe | Asst. A&L Editor
Zendaya

One of the biggest stars of our generation, Zendaya, has proved to be an unstoppable force. 

Zendaya has been on Generation Z’s screens, from the days of Disney Channel after school to her hit blockbusters, such as “Dune,” and hit shows like “Euphoria.” 

At age 24, the star became the youngest Emmy winner for lead actress, then just two years later, became the first African American to win twice. She has become a household name and most recently has been getting applause for her red carpet looks for her press release tours.

Zendaya has been a red carpet star since her early days back at Disney, even winning a Teen Choice Award for her looks as early as 2014. Many people can remember her iconic Met Gala debut dress in 2015, a Fausto Puglisi sun-motif dress, or her most popular 

Tommy Hilfiger Cinderella light-up ball gown.

What fans might not remember is that Zendaya started getting inspiration from her movies back in 2017, starting with “The Greatest Showman.” 

“Fashion is something I’ve always used as an outlet, a tool,” Zendaya said. “Ultimately, I think I am a more shy person, so it allows for me to create this persona, this character that I get to live in for the day.”

But creating these looks is not just a one-woman show. Zendaya’s stylist and longtime collaborator Law Roach has been working with the star since she was 14 and going to the premiere of Justin Bieber’s “Never Say Never” film premiere in 2011. Roach can even be seen next to the star at many carpet events, including being the fairy godmother to Zendaya’s Cinderella at the Met Gala in 2019.

“I think we know each other really really well,” Zendaya said. “He gets inspired by the films, I get inspired by the films and we just play.”

“My favorite press look of hers of the years has to be the Robert Cavalli metal-spine dress she wore to reference Dr. Octopus during the ‘Spiderman: No Way Home’ hype,’” said Ally Williams, a junior public health major. “It’s just so sleek and intricate at the same time, and it’s so obvious that she put a lot of time and effort into sticking with the theme, yet she makes it look effortless.”

“I think my fav. Zendaya press look is either her ‘Dune’ red carpet look or the tennis dress look for ‘Challengers,’” said Anna Saviagno, a junior mass communication major.

Zendaya is not only an icon in the fashion world but has been taking the world by storm. The star has been deemed one of the world’s most influential and powerful celebrities. From landing on Forbes 30 Under 30 at age 19 to Time’s 100 Most Influential People, the star has been taking the world by storm. But what is it that makes Zendaya the powerful figurehead she has become?

“I feel like she’s someone younger people look up to because she knows how to relate to her audience, which is such a hard thing to do,” Williams said. “We’ve seen her grow up and break out of her Disney shell, and in a way, she’s watched us grow up with her. She doesn’t try to make anyone like her, and I think that’s the whole reason everyone looks up to her. She effortlessly stays true to herself and doesn’t apologize for it.”

It’s not just growing up with the star that has made her fans so fond of her. It is also how she presents herself, is unwavering in her passions and has always been the Zendaya fans knew her to be, just grown up.

“We have grown up with her, and in that time, she has not wavered in her intentions or who she is.” said Anna Saviango, a junior communications major. “She always stays strong in her reasoning and is a passionate and caring person. Because of that, we trust her, and that makes us want to look up to her.”

The star’s latest movie, “Challengers,” will be released on April 26. In the next year, the star will be working on three new projects, including season 4 of her hit show “Euphoria,” starring as Ronnie Spector in the biopic “Be My Baby” and a new collaboration film called “A White Lie” with Reese Witherspoon. Zendaya will also be making a return to the Met Gala as a co-host alongside Jennifer Lopez, Bad Bunny and Chris Hemsworth for this year’s theme, “Garden of Time.”

This next year will prove to be a busy time for the young starlet but will further cement her legacy as one of the most successful careers of the generation.