Chick-fil-A is changing their chicken

chick-fil-a
Bella McCommis
chick-fil-a

Chick-fil-A has announced that starting this spring, they will be using antibiotics in their chicken. This announcement counteracts their pledge in 2014 to serve antibiotic-free chicken at all their restaurants. 

Chick-fil-A claims this change to antibiotic chicken will mean that they will use chicken containing antibiotics only if it or other animals surrounding it have become sick. The meat industry has been accused of overusing antibiotics, which can lead to increased antibiotic resistance in humans.  

They are changing their chicken due to supply issues.  

Chick-fil-A claims the antibiotics used will not be the same as commonly used antibiotics in humans. They are switching their chicken to a “No Antibiotics Important to Human Medicine,” or NAIHM, standard. 

“I’m sure that there will be a small group of people who won’t eat there anymore, but I don’t think it will be a drastic change,” said Jake Johnson, a sophomore marketing major. “Chick-fil-A changing their chicken does not bother me as long as it tastes the same and is safe to eat.”  

Some customers say that they can taste a difference in the chicken. Customers’ complaints express their concerns about the chicken and that Chick-fil-A is lowering their standards by having chicken with antibiotics. 

“I personally won’t stop eating at Chick-fil-A due to just the switch,” said Flint Standerfer, a freshman theatre major. “Most fast food chains use chickens with antibiotics anyway, but I have eaten there since the change, and I have noticed a significant difference and decline in the texture of the chicken.” 

Chick-fil-A explains they are making this change in chicken due to the challenges they are facing in finding chicken that meets their rigid standards of producing the best food possible to their customers. 

“I think that if it’s in the best interest of the people, then Chick-fil-A made the right decision, but if they did this to cut on spending, then I wouldn’t support it,” Johnson said.  

Most fast food restaurants use chicken with antibiotics. One reason people may be reacting to Chick-fil-A changing their chicken is because of their well-known strong views. Their high quality is also well known and can cause people to think a change in the chicken means a change in quality.  

“Chick-fil-A is a much more popular chain, but it also can be one of the more controversial chains due to their openness about their beliefs,” said Morgan Wilson, a sophomore public health major. “I think, in the long run, that people care mainly due to the popularity of the franchise. Also, Chick-fil-A refused to add antibiotics for so long, so this change shocked people.”  

As of now, Chick-fil-A will be continuing to use antibiotic chicken despite the backlash they have received. Over time, Chick-fil-A will see results from the public indicating whether their change in chicken has a negative or positive effect on their sales and customer loyalty.  

It is up to everyone to decide for themselves whether they like the change or not. Chick-fil-A is sure to still be a hit with their loyal customers even if some disagree with their change.