The record-breaking 2024 NFL Combine wraps up

NFL
NFL Scouting Combine logo

The 2024 NFL Scouting Combine featured some freak performances from prospects, broken records and unique approaches to the draft process from some players. 

Most notably, players like Caleb Williams, Marvin Harrison Jr. and Jayden Daniels declined to take part in the physical testing portion of the combine but still made themselves available to the media for interviews.

The choice to sit out likely stems from a fear of injury or negatively impacting draft stock. The players who chose to sit out are all highly touted and projected to go early in the first round, so participating in these events would likely only show potential flaws, and they would rather have the film speak for itself.

As far as prospects who chose to take part in physical testing, they did events such as bench press, 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump and other football-specific drills. Day one of the combine was dedicated to defensive linemen and linebackers.

Perhaps one of the most eye-opening performances came from Florida State University defensive tackle Braden Fiske. When showcasing their physical talent in the combine, prospects will inevitably be compared to successful NFL players, and Fiske received comparisons to three-time Defensive Player of the Year and Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald.

In the linebacker group, prospects like the University of Alabama’s Dallas Turner and North Carolina State University’s Payton Wilson both lived up to the hype. Turner measured in at a massive 6’2” and 246 lbs. while running an unbelievable 4.46 second 40-yard dash. 

Wilson was being eyed mostly for his speed coming into the combine and draft, and he did not disappoint, running a 4.43 second 40, which led all linebackers.

Day two of the combine featured the quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers. 

Although the QB group was missing Williams, who is in a great position to be the No. 1 overall pick, and Daniels, the reigning Heisman winner, fans and scouts still got to see some very talented signal callers work out and throw the ball around.

QBs like Bo Nix from the University of Oregon, J.J. McCarthy from the University of Michigan, Sam Hartman from the University of Notre Dame and Michael Penix Jr. from the University of Washington all got to show off their deep balls.

University of Tennessee QB Joe Milton boasted his abnormally strong arm, which he is starting to become known for. He threw the rock the hardest of all the QBs that worked out, as his ball clocked a speed of 62 mph.

The RB group lacked some of the flash that the other position groups provided in this year’s combine, but many were able to show off their speed.

The University of Louisville’s Isaac Guerendo led all RBs in the 40 with a time of 4.33 seconds. He was followed by Teneessee’s Jaylen Wright and Florida State’s Trey Benson with times of 4.38 seconds and 4.39 seconds, respectively.

Even without what many believe to be a generational prospect in Harrison Jr., the WR group still found a way to shine.

Most notably, University of Texas WR Xavier Worthy broke the combine’s 40 record with a time of 4.21 seconds. He beat John Ross’s record of 4.22 seconds that was set at the 2017 combine.

The offensive linemen capped off the combine on day three, and there were some impressive performers in a very talented OL class.

The University of Georgia’s Amarius Mims measured in at a menacing 6’8” and 340 lbs/, and he ran a 5.07 40 with a 9’3” broad jump, both of which are eye-opening numbers for somebody of that size.

Arguably the two best left tackles in the draft in Pennsylvania State University’s Olumuyiwa Fashanu and Notre Dame’s Joe Alt showed off their freakish size and athletic ability.

Fashanu measured in at 6’6” and 312 lbs., running a 5.11 second 40. Unfortunately, his time was cut short, as he sustained an injury to his right thigh.

Alt measured in at 6’8.5” and 321 lbs. He posted a 28” vertical, a 9’4” broad jump and a 40 time of 5.05 seconds. Already thought of as a top-10 pick, Alt only helped his chances with his measurements and workout performance.

Many of the prospects at the combine still have a chance to showcase their skills to NFL scouts at their schools’ pro days, and they will continue to train in preparation for the NFL Draft, which starts on Thursday, April 25.