NBA playoffs begin

NFL
NFL playoffs Graphic

The NBA playoffs are underway, with the Oklahoma City Thunder leading the Western Conference, and the No. 1 seed Boston Celtics dominating in the East. The start of the 16-team tournament marks the end of the regular season and the start of what is supposed to be a somewhat-predictable postseason tournament, as the seven-game series gives teams more time to prove their worth as opposed to the single-elimination tournament of football. 

In the Western Conference, the Thunder seem to be shaky in their ability to make a deep run in the playoffs. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, an incredible player, is the only one on their starting lineup that is consistently averaging 20 points per game. Their last week of regular season games were a struggle, as their top scorers, Alexander and forward Jalen Williams, were both out with injuries, showing the possible roadblocks they will face in the playoffs. 

They will also have to face either the Dallas Mavericks or the Los Angeles Clippers in round two, both of which are more experienced, veteran teams, while OKC is one of the youngest No. 1 seeds ever. 

Overall, in the West, most experts have the Denver Nuggets going to the NBA Finals. They got off to a rocky start early on in the season, seemingly playing on autopilot. They were the best team in the league last year and still have Nikola Jokic, who is basically unguardable. 

Nikola Jokic is the NBA’s best player and one of the greatest offensive forces the game has ever seen,” said Tyler Conway, a writer for Bleacher Report.

The Nuggets will most likely face a hungry Celtics team in the Finals. Boston has arguably been the best team during the regular season, ending the season with a 64-18 record and a +11.4 nightly point differential. They will also go into the playoffs with home-court advantage. 

With the offseason additions of Jrue Holiday and Kristaps Porzingis, the Celtics’ starting five has become one of the most well-rounded and balanced in the league and has the experience to run deep through the tournament. 

The Milwaukee Bucks have the best chance at stopping the powerhouse Celtics, but without Giannis Antetokounmpo, whose playoff status is still up in the air, even their chances are questionable. 

The consensus among most experts and sports fanatics is that the Finals will feature the reigning champs, the Nuggets, and the revitalized Celtics, who are ready for another chance at the title after their disappointing exit from the playoffs last year.