Drone attack on American base in Jordan kills three Georgia service members

US Department of Defense

An enemy drone was mistaken for a United States drone as it attacked an American base in Jordan, killing three troops and wounding many others. The Pentagon identified those killed as Stg. William Jerome Rivers, 46, of Carrollton, Georgia; Spc. Kennedy Ladon Sanders, 24, of Waycross, Georgia; and Spc. Breonna Alexsondria Moffett, 23, of Savannah, Georgia.

“My initial response was surprise and intrigue,” said Celica Schmetterer, a sophomore political science major. “Iit’s not too often we hear about soldiers dying.”

Shortly after the attacks, President Joe Biden met with national security advisors to discuss the development of the situation and a potential retaliation.

On Friday, Feb. 22, the Biden administration announced a retaliation attack in Syria and Iraq. This included airstrikes that targeted command and control operations, intelligence centers, weapons facilities and bunkers affiliated with Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps Quds Force. There have been inquiries from the public about whether the president will approve more air strike attacks or propose other solutions. 

“The first round of airstrikes that have been announced by the Biden administration is likely to be followed by additional offensive maneuvers and supposedly deter additional conflict, according to a New York Times article I read,” said Katie Cooper, a sophomore political science major. “However, I disagree. In my opinion, the notion that engaging in airstrikes will deter further aggression is historically inaccurate and foolish.”

The intention behind the military attack in Syria was to send a message to Iran that continued attacks would draw a U.S. response.

The attacks were reported to have hit more than 85 different locations along the border of Syria and Iraq.

Biden’s foreign policy strategies have been questioned by many Republicans, who believe his foreign approaches have been weak. The Biden administration has explained that it will not tolerate attacks on U.S. forces, therefore supporting the missile attack.

“Honestly, I think what they did is appropriate,” said Derek Kim, a sophomore political science major. “I feel that they did not do too much to anger Iran or Iraq to a dangerous degree, but they did enough to not present the United States as weak. If it were up to me, I would have attempted a more diplomatic approach, such as discussing with Iranian and Iraqi officials the legal workings of the U.S. Perhaps the families of the victims could have had a more direct influence over the matter, but I am not dissatisfied with what the administration has decided.”

Americans are becoming increasingly concerned over U.S. relations in the Middle East, especially between the U.S. and Iran. Previous events, such as pulling out of the Iran Nuclear Deal and pulling out of Afghanistan, have led to increased tension in the region.

“Defense Secretary Austin promised that the coming military operations would be notably more aggressive, and I am expecting the militant groups to continue the escalation of violence,” Cooper said.

The U.S. Department of Defense is working on an action plan to further military escalation in the region in the coming months.