Women’s Final Four

Brian Ray hawkeyesports
Iowa Guard Caitlin Clark

This year’s Final Four of the NCAA Division I women’s basketball tournament was made up of two No. 1 seeds and two No. 3 seeds. The matchups were the University of Iowa vs. the University of Connecticut, and on the other side, the University of South Carolina vs. North Carolina State University.

The top-seeded Iowa Hawkeyes, led by superstar Caitlin Clark, faced off against the UConn Huskies, led by fellow superstar Paige Bueckers. The South Carolina Gamecocks met the underdog of the four teams, the NC State Wolfpack, with the chance of a perfect, undefeated season on the line.

The Hawkeyes won a close contest against UConn, barely beating the Huskies by a score of 71-69. With the game coming down to the wire and being decided on the last possession, it was headlined by a controversial offensive foul called on UConn in the final seconds.

Clark scored 21 points for the Hawkeyes, and forward Hannah Stuelke scored 23 points. UConn was led by Bueckers and Aaliyah Edwards, who both scored 17.

The other semifinal was a much more lopsided affair. South Carolina dominated NC State to win by a score of 78-59. The difference in the game came in a massive third quarter for the Gamecocks, in which they dropped 29 points to the Wolfpack’s six.

Guard Aziaha James led the Wolfpack with 20 points, while the Gamecocks were led by their superstar, Kamilla Cardoso, with 22 points.

The national championship came down to the two best teams in the country, one led by a generational talent and the new record holder for career points in NCAA Division I basketball for both men’s and women’s, and the other an incredible squad on a mission to complete a perfect season.

With an 87-75 win, South Carolina completed their perfect season and were crowned national champions with a 38-0 record.

The Gamecocks won this game with superb defense and by dominating the boards. By both doubling Iowa’s blocks and winning the rebound battle 51-29, South Carolina made scoring a tough task, especially down the stretch as the game reached the late third quarter and fourth quarter.

“This year’s women’s tournament was more entertaining than the men’s, which was really cool and refreshing to see,” said Sean Davis, a senior exercise science major. “NCAA women’s basketball is flourishing right now, and superstars, like Caitlin Clark, Angel Reese, Paige Bueckers, and superteams, like South Carolina, are changing the game.”