Men’s Final Four

Basketball+player+
Julia Jensen | Art Director
Basketball player

The men’s college basketball Final Four and national championship games have concluded, marking the end of the 2023-2024 season. The Final Four consisted of the last four teams remaining in the NCAA, which included the University of Alabama, the University of Connecticut, Purdue University and North Carolina State University.

On Saturday, April 6, NC State played against Purdue, and Purdue took the win 63-50. Alabama played UConn, and UConn came out on top with a score of 86-72. 

On Monday, April 8, Purdue played against UConn in a very intense game. By the end of the national championship, UConn took the win with a score of 75 against Purdue, who had a score of 60. 

UConn maintained its quest to defend its national championship title by overcoming its initial significant challenge in the NCAA tournament. Freshman Stephon Castle led the charge with 21 points, while the team showcased a strong defensive performance in the latter half, securing an 86-72 victory over Alabama in the Final Four.

Purdue extended its March Madness journey, effectively ending NC State’s hopes in the process. Zach Edey’s impressive performance of 20 points and 12 rebounds fueled the team to a 63-50 victory, bringing the Boilermakers within reach of what would have been their inaugural NCAA title.

Some fans were disappointed in the turnout of the tournament, with both teams playing in the National Championship being No. 1 seeds.

“The Final Four this year was really uncompetitive and very predictable,” said Will Turner, a sophomore finance major. “From the get go, I knew UConn was going to win, even though I was always rooting for DJ Burns and NC State. Even with Zach Edey dropping 30 points, his supporting cast did not help him whatsoever to overcome Purdue in the championship.”

Other fans were satisfied with the Final Four, even if the underdog Wolfpack did not get to complete their Cinderella run.

“The Final Four was exciting to watch, and I was rooting for NC State and DJ Burns Jr. to win it all,” said Evan Gillanders, a junior business major. “Since that couldn’t happen, it was a relief to see Alabama and Purdue lose to UConn.” 

NC State, which finished with a record of 26-15, concluded its season just two wins away from replicating its remarkable 1983 triumph, during which it secured the title in a series of nine consecutive must-win games, cementing its place in history as one of the most improbable champions.

Similarly, some may view Purdue’s current run as equally unlikely. The top-seeded team finds itself in the Final Four for the first time since 1980 and a season after experiencing the disappointment of being the second top seed to exit in the opening round.

“The higher seed in each matchup dominated the lower seeds,” said Cruz Ridgeway, a sophomore management information systems, or MIS, major. “The national championship was a much better matchup, but UConn easily ran away with it in the second half.”

The Final Four matchups in men’s NCAA basketball epitomized the excitement and intensity that define the sport. As teams battled for a shot at securing their spot in history, each possession and play held immense importance.