Metropolis Cafe is moving

Metropolis Cafe is moving to a new location in downtown Milledgeville. 

With Garbutt Construction breaking ground last summer on the new location, there is still much to be done, such as installing sinks for the kitchen, fixing lighting and electricity to ensure everyone will be safe as well as getting booths and tables installed. 

The restaurant is currently located between Aurabliss and Eclectic at 138 N. Wayne St. and is open seven days a week. Its doors open at 11 a.m. every day.

Metropolis Cafe in downtown Milledgeville has been around for 15 years and was opened by Deepak Kumar. He spent his life working in a similar restaurant in India before moving to America in hopes of spreading his food from home. 

Kumar and his staff have spent years serving locals and college students gyros with chicken and lettuce, hummus, pita wraps and so much more. They also offer vegan options, such as Spanakopita and vegetable kabobs for customers. Their prices range from $5 dollars to $30 dollars.

When customers walk in, they are met with a bar area for seating. As you go further into the restaurant, you have a back seating area with booths for bigger groups and an outside seating area for those who want to get some sunshine as they enjoy their meals.

Even with this amount of seating, Metro can not handle the influx of customers on busy days, so they have decided to move across the street to 111 N. Wayne St., which is right next to Ace Hardware in downtown Milledgeville. 

“We’ve just outgrown this location,” said Sammy Roberts, a shift leader at Metropolis. “We’re ready for something bigger, something newer, that we can renovate and completely call ours.”

This new location provides more room for customers and is close to the old location, and customers will not have to travel far to get their favorite Greek-Mediterranean dishes. 

“I think because that location is close in proximity to this location,” Roberts said. “And I think it just makes the most sense. It’s close to Hancock Street and closer towards most of the downtown business.”

Some locals are excited about the new location and its extra room.

“On the busy nights when a lot of people are in town, it’s normally a wait here to get into the place,” said Amy Pickett, a senior nursing major. “It’ll be nice that there is a little bit more room over there.”

They also have to work on the new outside seating area next to the Deep Roots stage, which management hopes will be completed a month after they move into the new location. When clearing the area for the new outside seating, they discovered different designs, which turned out to be flour murals advertising the flour, on the side of the wall of the building. The owner was so impressed by the designs he decided to have them sealed and preserved. 

Management is hopeful everything will be completed by the end of March or early April for the grand opening of their new and improved Metropolis Cafe.