Where is Kate Middleton?

And why does everyone care so much?
+Princess+of+Wales
Catherine Middleton
Princess of Wales

With sudden medical issues and the curious lack of public appearance of Catherine “Kate” Middleton, Princess of Wales, the royal family has made its way back to American media once again.

Social media in particular has speculated about the princess’s recovery and has requested answers from the palace. Supporters are concerned for Middleton’s health since it was reported by the palace that she will not be returning to the public eye until Easter. 

This news was followed by Buckingham Palace announcing her husband, William, Prince of Wales, would be stepping back from his duties to take care of his wife and their children. This included a last-minute decision not to attend the memorial service of his godfather, King Constantine of Greece.

With the family being a large feature in the public eye, one has to wonder if while they are seen as political figures in England, they could be seen more as popular cultural icons in America.

“I think the royal family doesn’t have much political power and is more of a figurehead,” said Annabel Hirst, a sophomore world languages and cultures major. “I have family from England. When the queen died, my dad was personally upset. Especially since Princess Diana, their popularity has increased and people have become more interested. All of that attention makes them more celebrity-like. Compared to American politics, they have a more personable aspect about them.”

On March 10, after much conjecture from the public, Middleton took to social media for the first time since her abdominal surgery in January to post a photo with her three children in celebration of Mother’s Day in the United Kingdom. 

“Thank you for your kind wishes and continued support over the last two months,” Middleton said in the caption. 

Within 24 hours, major news outlets removed the image from their platforms after noticing irregularities indicating the photograph had been purposefully edited, causing many to surmise more about Middleton’s condition.

Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing,” Middleton said on social media. “I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused.”

Throughout the generations, the British royal family has left a lasting impression on watchful eyes. Most people over 30 could state exactly where they were when news hit that Diana, Princess of Wales, died. Similarly, most college-aged individuals can recount the moment Queen Elizabeth II’s death was announced.

The royal family is a staple of generational wealth and power, but with wealth and power comes the world observing you and your family’s movement at all times, starting from a very young age. Even now, the royal family’s moves are not just being discussed through news outlets and social media sites; over the years, nearly 27 movies and TV shows have been set and based around generations of the royal family.

One show that catapulted the Royal Family back into the limelight was Netflix’s “The Crown.” Throughout its six seasons, “The Crown” was nominated for 69 Emmys, 27 BAFTAs, the British Academy of Film and Television Arts’ awards, and 23 Golden Globe Awards.

“I was never super interested in the royal family,” said Jais Hightower, a junior nursing major. “My mom was, though, so when the crown came out, she asked me to watch it with her, and it was so interesting. We ended up bringing the whole series together, and even now that the show is over, I follow all of them on Instagram and keep up with updates on social media and the news. You can not help but be fascinated by them and their lives.”

Despite theories and scrutiny, the royal family continues to draw attention and admirers across generations.