GC basketball teams hope for post-season runs

Courtesy of GC Athletics
Freshman guard Hannah Cali shoots over a defender

Over the course of the season, the GC men’s and women’s basketball teams have had their ups and downs, filled with stellar performances and winning streaks. Both teams currently sit with an identical record of 11-12 with five more games left on the schedule. 

Just a few notable moments for the men’s team that have truly made this season incredible have been the men’s overtime thriller versus Georgia Southwestern State University, the team cracking into the top 25 early in the year, along with Brendan Rigsbee and Brady Spence both being awarded Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week awards for some stellar performances. 

A recent overtime win has given the men’s team a spark to work off of.

“It definitely gave our team a morale boost,” said Oscar Lynch, a freshman forward. “Winning in a game like that showed us that if we play together, we can beat anyone. Being able to pull a win out in a game like that really shows that we are committed to playing for each other and that we are not done yet.” 

This statement is a true testament to the team-first mentality that the Bobcats have had all year, and even if the team was struggling, the trust they had for one another was a big contributor that has helped the entire roster feel that they can keep this going for a possible deep run. 

For the women’s team, the Bobcats had a special performance in which six players were in double figures in their big win over Flagler College. Just like the men’s team, our lady Bobcats had their fair share of awards, with Geary and Strickland both bringing home the GC Zaxby’s Player of the Week, and another big accomplishment was Strickland scoring 1000 career points. 

Bailey Vick, a sophomore guard for the Bobcats, spoke of the best part of her season for her. She said that being able to contribute to history for a teammate was her highlight. 

“I would say my highlight of the season so far would be when Myra scored her 1000th point,” Vick said. 

Understanding that the season is filled with a variety of challenges is a crucial part of any sport, but taking the strides needed to succeed at this level is a very important skill, and both teams have proven time and time again that they are capable of doing this at the collegiate level. 

Consistency will be key for the Bobcats as they play out the remainder of their schedule.

“We play some good teams during this stretch, so winning those big games would be huge for us and our momentum, as we hope to make a run in the postseason,” said Hannah Cail, a freshman guard.