Several fans hospitalized after NFL playoff game

julia_jensen75

Fans hospitalized after freezing temperature at Chiefs vs. Dolphins game 

Several fans were hospitalized due to the dangerously cold temperatures at the NFL playoff game between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Miami Dolphins. The Chiefs beat the Dolphins 26-7 on Saturday, Jan. 13, where the temperature in Kansas City, Missouri, was -4 degrees Fahrenheit with a windchill of -27 degrees Fahrenheit at kickoff.  

Saturday evening, the Kansas City Fire Department, or KCFD, received multiple phone calls from inside Arrowhead Stadium, along with phone calls from the parking lot. After treating some fans on-site and transporting 15 others to local hospitals. The KCFD said seven fans were treated for hypothermia, three for frostbite and five fans were not hospitalized for weatherrelated reasons.  

“I can appreciate the dedication those fans have, but I could not imagine even going outside in those conditions,” said Trammell Maddox, a Vice President and controller for The Weather Channel. “I love me a good NFL game, but with temperatures like that, you would have to pay me to sit in the stands.”

Due to the harsh conditions the teams and players faced, this game ranks as one of the coldest NFL games on record, according to the NFL.  

The freezing temperatures did not stop celebrities from attending the playoff game. Taylor Swift bundled up and flew to Kansas City to support her boyfriend, Travis Kelce, a tight end for the Chiefs. In order to stay warm, she sported an old Kelce jersey that was made into a jacket by designer Kristin Juszczyk.  

Alix Earle, a 23-year-old TikTok star, also attended the game for her boyfriend, Braxton Berrios, a wide receiver for the Dolphins. She wore a Dolphins puffer jacket and beanie.  

“I am a big fan of both Taylor Swift and Alix Earle, so the only reason why I know about this game is because they were in attendance,” said Sophia White, a freshman psychology major. “But after hearing about the danger the low temperature put fans in, I have a new appreciation for fan dedication, and I hope the fans that were hospitalized due to the cold are okay.” 

Temperatures below freezing require many precautions to stay safe. Otherwise, exposure to extremely cold weather for prolonged periods of time can result in developing hypothermia and the loss of color and feeling in areas due to freezing, which is frostbite. Fox News explained how, if untreated, both frostbite and hypothermia can lead to sepsis, which, without medical attention, can lead to death . 

“I got frostbite on my nose when I was skiing in Breckenridge, Colorado,” said Grace Wallace, a sophomore nursing major. “It was very mild. However, I still experienced skin discoloration and swelling. It was awful.”  

Both hypothermia and frostbite can permanently damage the body, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or CDC. The CDC also says that the best way to fight cold weather is to be prepared for it.  

The players, coaches and staff for both teams were sheltered from the cold with access to heaters and returned to the locker room during halftime. The fans, on the other hand, were bundled in many layers of clothes, but despite their efforts, the wind chill made staying warm quite the challenge.