Billy Joel is back

After 17 years, American singer-songwriter and pianist Billy Joel is back with a new single titled “Turn the Lights Back On,” now available for streaming on various music platforms. Fans have been buzzing about this song’s release since Monday, Jan. 22. A TikTok was posted on Joel’s account announcing the song title and official release date.

Following the TikTok post, a press release was posted on Joel’s official website stating the same information.

“He delivers a classic Billy Joel-style tune, embodying the hallmarks of his signature sound and ushering in the next chapter of his story,” the press release states. “In the lyrics, he asks, ‘Did I wait too long… to turn the lights back on?’”

Joel’s career started in 1972. His first record deal, with Family Productions, led him to record a poorly produced “Cold Spring Harbor,” which locked him into a long-term contract. This contract was broken shortly after executives from Columbia Records saw a live video of his performance. Through Columbia Records, Joel produced his first album, which includes “Piano Man,” the hit single that is still considered to be his signature song today. Joel continued to produce hit songs and even won Grammy Awards for both Song of the Year and Album of the Year.

After many albums, honors and tours, Joel took a break from releasing new music in 2007.

Although Joel’s return to releasing music has been very successful, it does not suggest that he will continue to release more songs in the future or allow for suspicion that a new album may be dropped.

“I have a lot of music that no one’s ever heard and no one may ever hear if I don’t decide to do something with it,” Joel said in a 2019 interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

“Billy Joel’s new song is very consistent with his style,” said Cami Willis, a sophomore marketing major. “I enjoy listening to his music in the car, and I will definitely be adding his new song to my playlist.”

Joel has many live shows lined up for 2024 in various cities across the United States, along with a European show this summer in Cardiff, United Kingdom. Through the years, Joel has assisted other artists, such as Justin Beiber, Ariana Grande, Diana Ross and many others.

“Billy Joel’s new song was so good,” said Liana Kasel, a sophomore management information systems, or MIS, major. “ I know he is currently performing live shows, so I hope that he will decide to put his new song in a future setlist.”

A lyric video for the new song was posted on YouTube on Feb. 2. In two days, the video has reached over 800,000 views with many positive comments from fans. Fans are raving over Joel’s comeback into the music industry as if he never took a break. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame artist is continuing to keep fans on their toes and will continue to satisfy fans in the future.