Jen’s Jams: the five best albums of 2023

1. KAYTRAMINÉ – KAYTRANADA & Aminé: Everything that KAYTRANADA touches turns into gold, and every album that Aminé has created has somehow topped the one before. So, needless to say, I had extremely high expectations, especially after the release of the first single from this album, “4EVA.” The collaboration of KAYTRANADA’s funky beats that were reminiscent of the ‘70s disco sound and Aminé’s lighthearted, goofy and oftentimes braggadocious lyrics resulted in the perfect summertime album. The standout songs from this album are “Master P,” “letstalkaboutit” and “Who He Iz.” Although this album has a very special place in my heart, it is receiving the No. 5 rank due to the fact that it does not feel very cohesive, making it feels like somewhat of a mixtape rather than a structured album. If there was more of a storyline behind this album and better transitions throughout, then it would definitely be placed higher in this ranking. However, I am very excited to see what KAYTRAMINÉ will produce in the future. 

1. The Loveliest Time – Carly Rae Jepsen: I am a passionate and firm believer that Carly Rae Jepsen deserves an exponential amount of more praise and recognition. Unfortunately, radio stations overplaying of her hit song “Call Me Maybe” in 2012 has overshadowed her entire discography, leaving ignorant people to assume that this is all she has to offer. But in reality, Jepsen is a pop powerhouse with an eclectic and experimental discography. Although each song on “The Loveliest Time” sounds different, the album feels cohesive. Songs such as “Kamikaze” and “Shy Boy” have an ‘80s pop sound, while others, such as “Psychedelic Switch,” have French synth influences. Jepsen’s combination of indie, folk and disco in her music sets her appart from others. Her ability to create dance-pop music without making it feel like teenybopper bubblegum pop is highlighted in “The Loveliest Time,” and I believe that everyone — even those who do not tend to listen to pop music — will find something that they enjoy on this album.

1. emails i can’t send – Sabrina Carpenter: As someone who did not grow up watching “Girl Meets World,” I was not really aware of Sabrina Carpenter’s existence until the infamous love triangle between her, Olivia Rodrigo and Joshua Bassett. To be honest, I was reluctant to listen to it at first since the Disney actor turned musician pipeline feels extremely overdone at this point. But the second I heard the first song, “emails i can’t send,” I was hooked. In this song, Carpenter talks about her father cheating on her mother and the effects this has on her relationship with him. Her fearless displays of vulnerability throughout this album stimulates a feeling of trust and relatability within listeners, and I think that this has significantly contributed to her sudden skyrocket into stardom this past year. Carpenter is not afraid to discuss the hard and sometimes-embarrassing feelings that are common with young people going through a breakup, with songs such as “bad for business,” “already over” and “skinny dipping” that focus on rekindling a relationship. Throughout this album, there are also empowering pop bangers that highlight female sexuality, such as  “bet u wanna,” “Nonsense” and “Fast Times.” Overall, this is an extremely well-rounded album that is relatable to any 20-something-year-old person. 

1. UTOPIA – Travis Scott: After the tragedy at the Astroworld Festival in 2021, I truly thought that Travis Scott releasing new music is something that would only occur in a dream. But, thankfully, he is back, and in my opinion, better than ever. The strategic formation of songs on “UTOPIA” takes audiences through a journey of emotions that is evident in the juxtaposition between the introductory and final songs of the album. The fast paced ‘90s hip-hop beats in the opening song, “HYAENA,” sets an excited tone; whereas, the eerie and unsettling nature of the lyrics and the beat of the final song, “TIL FURTHER NOTICE (feat. James Blake and 21 Savage),” effectively leaves listeners longing for more. I typically do not enjoy when there are too many features on an album, but this album does it the right way by bringing in artists from other genres, like James Blake, Bad Bunny, Yung Lean and Beyoncé, to create inimitable songs. Not only do I applaud Scott for his feature choices, but I also appreciate his choice in producers. As a huge Pharrell Williams fan, excited shivers went down my spine when I heard William’s iconic four count introduction in the song “LOOOVE (feat. Kid Cudi). Regardless of my personal bias and disdain for Kanye West, I will reluctantly admit that his production on “THANK GOD” was amazing. Honestly, this album is so incredible that I truly cannot pick a favorite song. 

1. Everything’s Fine – Matt Corby: Since I was 13 years old, one thing in my life has remained consistent, and that is Matt Corby. Corby is an Australian singer-songwriter that has somehow managed to make, in my opinion, the best music on this planet. I have considered his 2014 album, “Telluric,” to be the best album of all time, but then he absolutely rocked my world with the release of “Everything’s Fine.” Over the course of the 11 songs, Corby focuses on his healing journey and exposes his deepest emotions through a critical, self-reflective lens. However, even in his most vulnerable songs, Corby remains hopeful and does not create a depressing energy. For instance, the song “For Real” focuses on a partner looking back on their regrettable actions and how they are working to become a better person. This album is an interesting mix of vulnerability and positivity. In an interview with NME, Corby explained that the overall theme of this album is working through the process of recognizing your negative qualities and finding a way to live with them. Corby’s soulful voice and his incorporation of jazz instruments in this album makes it impossible to not enjoy. My favorite songs are “Reelin’,” “Lover” and “Words I Say.” If you listen to this album, I promise you will fall head over heels in love almost immediately.