GC’s “The Nutcracker” ballet

Courtesy of GC Dance Department
Courtesy of GC Dance Department

The GC dance department is bringing the Christmas cheer with their annual production of ‘The Nutcracker’ on Dec. 8 and 9 in Russell Auditorium. This year marks the 27th anniversary of the production at GC, and the dance department is ready to delight audiences with new choreography and costumes. 

Although ‘The Nutcracker’ is a familiar holiday favorite, GC adds to the performance to make it a unique experience for audiences.  

“Some people say, ‘Well, I’ve seen that,’” said Amelia Pelton, Director of Dance at GC. “But I always tell them, ‘Well, you haven’t seen ours.’ Ours is very different. We have so many unusual things. We ran out of Tchaikovsky music because we have so many performers, so we started adding our own music.” 

Along with new costumes and choreography, the dance department includes GC and the local community throughout the show. Students in the dance minor and dance department at GC perform as the main character ensemble. Additionally, students in the GC community dance program, of all ages, are involved in other pieces, and the wide variety of classes offered make for an entertaining performance. 

“We have a musical theatre piece; we have dancing reindeer; we have tap-dancing soldiers,” said Nicole Snyder, a senior, who plays Sugar Plum Fairy. “It’s just a fun and uplifting holiday show.” 

This year, the show includes a tap number from the musical theatre class, and the GC cheer team is performing as the Russian soldiers. Two hundred and thirty students, including about forty GC students, are involved, and those students cannot wait to bring the spirit of the season to their performance. 

“We just love to spread the Christmas cheer,” Pelton said. “Every year, I ask the students, ‘Why are we here? We’re here to share the love of dance.’ So many people don’t have a ‘Nutcracker’ in their hometown. We are very fortunate to have it.” 

Work for the ‘Nutcracker’ started with auditions in August and weekly rehearsals starting after Labor Day. For students like Snyder, the dedication to the show gives ‘The Nutcracker’ a more personal meaning. 

“[The show] is the culmination of all of that work and all that drive and is very special to me,” Snyder said. “And a holiday season is not complete unless I have seen or been in a ‘Nutcracker.’”

On Friday only, Russell Auditorium will host a morning performance for elementary school students from Baldwin County and surrounding Middle Georgia counties. The school performance sold out in August, and over 450 students from local schools are on a waitlist. 

The department has four performances planned, with public shows Dec. 8 – Dec. 10. Tickets are $5 for GC students, $15 for general admission and $10 for senior citizens, GC faculty, staff and non-GC students. All seating is general admission.