GC men’s tennis fall season recap

courtesy+of+GC+Athletics+
courtesy of GC Athletics

The fall season for the GC men’s tennis team wrapped up earlier this month. The last tournament of the season was the Gridiron Classic, which took place in Macon. 

It was a tough go around for junior standout Gabe Cizek. He lost in the A flight singles to four different schools. He made it close in all four matches but was not able to capture a victory for the Bobcats in the A flight. 

In the B flight, Noé Villen managed to capture two victories — along with two losses.

The C flight is where GC shined, as senior Jorge Robinson pulled out three victories against Middle Georgia State, Flagler and Alabama State. 

Sophomore Aurélien Arlot earned two more victories himself, as well as sophomore Braxton Wright, who got a victory over Middle Georgia State.

The doubles matches at the Gridiron Classic did not go their way, as they were only able to win three out of their 11 matches. 

In the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, or ITA, Championships in late September, the Bobcats played a very good tournament. Robinson and Luka Suaer Jimenez both captured huge victories in the tournament.  

Junior Sebastian Nuñez remains hopeful for the upcoming spring season. 

“We had a very productive fall season and were able to get better along the way,” Nuñez said. “We’re looking to bounce back in the spring season and get some more wins.”

The women’s team also wrapped up their season earlier this month. This season, they played in the Mercer Tournament and the ITA Championships.

In the Mercer Tournament, at the end of the season, the Bobcats left with a statement. 

Freshman Ashley Bentz won three of her four matches in the B flight. In the A flight, juniors Chiara Santoro and Jada Young both picked up two victories. 

In the doubles portion of the tournament, Young and sophomore Laura Almagro dominated, as they won all three of their doubles matches 8-4, 8-2 and 8-6. 

In the ITA Championships, Young and Santoro were the only remaining players going into the fourth round of the tournament in the singles draw. Both were seeded eighth and dropped their games in the round of 16. 

Senior Ashton Morrison and Young were seeded eighth in the doubles draw. They won the second round but eventually lost to Anderson University in the third round. 

Young looks forward to seeing her team compete in the upcoming spring season. 

“I was very proud of how we competed for both tournaments this season,” Young said. “I’m very excited with what is in store for this team in the spring, and I can’t wait for it to come.”

After a very productive season for the Bobcats, all eyes are now set on getting better and competing in the spring.