GC’s Farmers and Artisan Market: A glimpse into small businesses

Isabella McComis | Digital Media Editor

On Oct. 3, GC’s front campus came alive with entrepreneurial spirit as students showcased their businesses at the annual Farmers and Artisan Market. From baked goods to crafts to handmade items, the event offered an assortment of products that reflected the passion and creativity of these young business owners. 

One entrepreneur at the market was junior art major Ellen Patton, the creative force behind “Ellen’s Eclectic.” Her booth displayed an array of polymer jewelry, including intricately designed earrings and necklaces. Patton shared her insights on the challenges she faces.

“For me, managing my time, classes and work is the hardest challenge,” Patton said. “I always remind myself that it’s worth it in the end.”  

Her dedication to her craft and studies is just one example of determination throughout GC’s student entrepreneurs.

Countless crochet lovers gathered around to check out another GC student’s handmade items. Colorful crocheted pieces, including stuffed animals and plush blankets, filled the table. 

“The best part about being a small business owner is having my pieces be appreciated and complimented,” said the owner. “It means a lot in the long run and encourages me to keep going.”

Her passion for crochet and the genuine connection she shares with her customers demonstrates a deep sense of satisfaction that comes with pursuing one’s business.

Across the front campus, “With the Wildflowers” buzzed with attention, a junior environmental science major Amy Newman displayed her ornate jams and sauces, captivating visitors with their vibrant colors. However, being a college student and a small business owner comes with its own set of hurdles.

“The thing with the jams is, you need a large kitchen and large pots,” Newman said. “In college dorms and houses, you don’t have the luxury of a big kitchen.This means I can only cook my products when I go home. This is a challenge when it comes to coordinating when I can make my jams.” 

Newman’s commitment to delivering high-quality products, despite logistical challenges, shows the resilience of these hard-working students. 

Yet another small business, known as “Customs by Cara,” consisted of vibrant GC-themed merchandise, such as T-shirts, colorful handbags and other unique accessories. The owner handmakes each piece for the enjoyment of her peers. 

“I like to encourage others to explore opening a business because you can make good money, and it’s just so fun designing your own products,” Customs by Cara said.“The environment of selling alongside others is just so welcoming and exciting!” 

The GC Farmers and Artisan Market was not just a marketplace; it was a celebration of student entrepreneurship, creativity and resilience. It highlighted the determination of young business owners who maintained the demands of their schoolwork while also pursuing their passions. Each booth represented a unique story of the ambition and hard work of student entrepreneurs.