GC softball takes the series

Kam Caldwell and Mackenzie Hoffman at bat against Columbus State

Courtesy of GC Athletics

Emily Henderson, Staff Writer

GC softball hosted Columbus State University in a three-game series on March 4 and 5, playing two games on Saturday and finishing the series with one game on Sunday.  

The first game of the Saturday double-header was a close game between the Bobcats and Cougars, but CSU came back in the top of the seventh to take the lead after scoring off of two late singles, ending the game 4-2. 

GC bounced back in game two of the double-header after the late-inning loss. The Bobcats shut out the Cougars, winning 8-0, with a big first-career home run from freshman Emily Hobbs that drove in three. 

CSU started game three off strong, taking advantage of back-to-back walks in the top of the first with a triple to right field. While GC produced hits in the early innings, they could not produce any runs. 

The Cougars added onto their lead in the top of the third after a double scored the runner on second base. 

The Bobcats found some momentum in the bottom of the third with a double by junior Mackenzie Hoffman. Leadoff hitter Sydney Lancaster advanced the runner with a single and followed that up with a stolen base. 

Sophomore infielder Kam Caldwell kept the inning alive for the Bobcats after an unsuccessful catch by the CSU shortstop that sent the ball into right field, scoring the Bobcats’ first runs of the day. 

Next up, senior infielder Jessica Owens tied the game after a first-pitch triple to right field. 

GC scored again after junior outfielder Mackenzie Martian reached on an error. The Bobcats ended the third inning with the lead, 4-3.

CSU fought back, producing three runs after a bad throw from Hobbs with the bases loaded. Although CSU had a hot fourth inning, the Bobcats did not let that affect them from having one too. 

GC had 10 hitters come to the plate in the bottom of the fourth inning, with two doubles, two singles, two walks and a hit from a throwing error, making the score 10-6. 

The Cougars were held scoreless in the late innings of the game after junior pitcher Shelby Jones stepped on the rubber for the Bobcats. She gave up no hits and allowed only one walk, keeping the score 10-6.

GC had 11 hits, led by Kam Caldwell, who was 3-for-4, and Mackenzie Hoffman, who was 3-for-3. The Bobcats tore up the base paths in Sunday’s game, going 8-for-8 in stolen bases.

“Our performance today was definitely a ten out of ten today,” Caldwell said. “They scored first, but we knew we had to come back with big energy. We were able to work as a team to get timely hits when we needed them.” 

This series was the first time the Bobcats beat CSU since their last home series versus the Cougars in 2018. 

“This series win was huge,” Hoffman said. “This is the first time in, I think, four years that they have even come to our field, which is the last time we won a series against them, let alone a game. We have always wanted to beat this team, so it feels good, especially since I have been here since my freshman year, and we have never been able to play like this against them.” 

The softball team picked up the pace from a year ago, already surpassing their win record from the whole last season. Although the Bobcats have had a good beginning of their season, there is still room for improvement to help them finish strong.

“We just need to continue to work on consistency,” said head coach Jamie Grodecki. “We need to keep trying to avoid giving up big inning, keep it clean on defense and try to minimize our walks. I think all we need to do is show up, make the routine plays, do our job and play GC ball.” 

GC will continue their journey with a long two-and-a-half-week road trip before their next home game on March 25 against Lander University for alumni weekend.