GC XC moves up in the rankings

Autumn Arnette, Staff Writer

The Bobcat cross country team started this season with high honors, as they were put at number 10 in the preseason rankings. After an impressive performance at the Jaguar Cross Country Invitational, the team moved up to ninth place in the southeast region rankings.

The Bobcats placed second in the Jaguar Cross Country Invitational. The team averaged a time of 28:45 during the 8k.

Many Bobcats ranked during the race. Sophomore Philip Bulatao led the Bobcats with a time of 27:14, putting him at second place in the meet. Freshman Caleb Carter placed sixth, running a time of 28:13 in his first collegiate run.

Freshman Jack Sisk and sophomore Caiden Curtis finished at 14th and 15th. Four other bobcats also placed in the race.

The Bobcats are now in third place among the Peach Belt Conference. This ranking puts the team behind Augusta University and Flagler College.

The cross country team has done exceptionally well this season. They have put in hours of training and conditioning in their own personal time, but also put in lots of work as a team to get to where they are now.

Sophomore Brendan Rice put in lots of individual work to get better over the off-season. 

“I usually focus more on my mileage and building up my endurance to where I feel ready for the start of the season,” Rice said.

Off-season training is important to each member of the team. There is always room for further improvement on their running, agility, and endurance during the off-season.

However, each player has their own technique. Head coach John Green stresses the importance of this as well as being adamant that practicing on your own time is significant.

The runners are very grateful for the coaching they receive from their head coach. They attribute a lot of their successes to him and his guidance.

“My coach, John Green, he is a great coach and he cares about his athletes,” said sophomore Tucker Balch.

Coach Green uses various training techniques in order to make sure his runners are exceeding expectations. He also signifies the importance of being a student athlete and how his runners should be performing at practice and in the classroom.

All teammates are preparing to compete to their full potential. With two invitationals already under their belt, they are hoping to improve even further in the Queens University Invitational.

“I feel very confident about my next race because I’ve felt more like myself in races than I have in the past,” Rice said.

Major improvements by individuals and the team have been made this season to be as successful as it has been. Coach Green  encourages his runners to want to grow in their ability and confidence to meet their full potential.

“I am excited for our next invitational.” Bulatao said. “I am definitely feeling ready to see what I can do in the race.”

The cross country team will be back in action this Friday, Sept. 23 at Queens University in Charlotte, North Carolina. They look to continue to run well and to keep climbing up in the rankings.