Everyone should study abroad

Delaney Derry
Delaney Derry | Opinion Editor

Students, imagine you are sipping coffee at a cafe in France, gazing out towards the Mediterranean Sea or enjoying a steaming, flavorful pizza at a restaurant in Italy. That sounds enticing, right? If this sounds like something that is compelling to you, then you should consider studying abroad. 

Students who want to take the opportunity to learn from other cultures can study away in a country of their choosing and take approved classes for credit toward their degree. GC has a great deal of study abroad programs, most of which take place over the summer semester. They are usually GC faculty-led and with many other GC students, all of whom travel together. 

According to the GC study abroad page, students can benefit from studying abroad with things like earning academic credit in core or major courses, adding an international internship to their GC transcript and resume and gaining a deeper understanding of international, political, economic and cultural issues. 

Studying abroad is an amazing experience where students get a taste of what it is like for people and cultures around the world. They can experience things firsthand rather than simply learn about them from a classroom. 

“I am studying this summer in the Netherlands, Germany and France,” said Cole Lazich, a junior management major. “It has been a dream of mine to go to Europe to experience the culture, and it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”

What a truly amazing opportunity it is to be in college and say you have studied somewhere like Germany or France. There is just no better way to experience a culture than to live in it yourself. 

“The biggest reason you should consider a study abroad program is the opportunity to see the world,” said an article on the website International Student.

There is no better time than when you are in college to go out and experience the world. College is a time when students are learning about themselves and the world around them. It is a major time of growth and independence. Most students have never experienced things outside of the small town they grew up in or, at the most, seen things beyond the United States’ coasts. 

“By studying abroad, you will experience a brand-new country with incredible new outlooks, customs and activities,” International Students said. 

Not only will you have the experience of a lifetime, but it will give you a chance to see other cultures up close and experience things outside of the comfort of the classroom. You can gain new insight and learn by leaving your little corner of the world and actually seeing the rest of the world up close and personal. 

“My experience was so good,” said Emily Granier, a sophomore environmental science major who studied in the Bahamas in 2023. “We stayed at a research center, where I studied marine biology and climate change, so we spent each day hiking and snorkeling, and being in the field to study abroad helped me find my passion for marine biology.”

Not only is this a great opportunity to see the world, but studying abroad is also a great chance to really look into yourself and find your interests. We are in college to figure out who we want to be and what we want to become. Maybe getting outside of what is familiar can lead us to discover what we did not know before. 

“I would highly recommend studying abroad to others,” Granier said. “It was such an eye-opener to me and brought me so much insight on other parts of the world.” 

I studied abroad this past summer in Paris. I got to spend four dreamy weeks in the heart of France, the “City of Lights.” I did not just gain amazing pictures for my Instagram feed, although that was a perk. But I gained a much deeper understanding of the world and how people outside the U.S. live their lives. I got to experience a new culture, new food, new places and new people. 

I was able to make connections and expand my worldview. I visited museums, gardens and historic landmarks. I did not just go to France and briefly visit, like a tourist, but got to immerse myself in their culture and see things from their perspective. I got to live like a real Parisian for a month. It was singlehandedly the best experience of my life, and I will cherish it always. 

If I could go back and make a choice to go or pass on the opportunity, I would take that trip in a heartbeat. If asked, I would easily agree to go again after having already gone. I would have only one thing to say: “My bags are already packed, so when do we leave?”