Major Spotlight: Liberal Studies

Gael Humphries
Courtesy of Gael Humphries

GC is well known for their liberal arts approach to academics. Students take a mixture of different courses that go with any major. These courses can include math, science, art classes, language courses, philosophy and tons of others. GC has also made a liberal studies major, which allows students to choose classes of their choice. 

In this major, there are multiple concentrations, such as culture, religion and society, environmental justice, European studies, gender and sexuality studies, global studies, individualized studies and race and social justice. 

This major appeals to students ranging from all different backgrounds and allows them to explore their individual interests. 

Gael Humphries is a senior economics and liberal studies double major with a minor in women and gender studies. 

“I grew up in a very rural area of the Deep South, and there wasn’t a whole lot of economic growth there,” Humphries said. “But you grow up around a bunch of churches and stuff like that, which kind of shaped my curiosity of why things are what they are. Econ gave me a framework for that, but as far as actually making an impact, I found that liberal studies was the best way to learn about people, learn how people work. This is just the best way to connect with all different types of people.” 

She is also an active member of the Wesley Foundation and an executive member of the gardening club at GC. Humphries, in addition, spends some of her days working for the Office of Sustainability.  

Humphries did not enter her freshman year at GC knowing she wanted to be a liberal studies major. Her turning point was her religion professor, who suggested the major.  

“I took the core class, like Intro to World Religions, and the professor mentioned that he thought it would be cool if I picked up liberal studies,” Humphries said. “And then he sent me an email from the department head. “She just gave us, like, a whole schedule with all these different classes you could take and just really individualized the whole program to a student.” 

The liberal studies major allows students the opportunity to pursue their academic passions through many different pathways. Some of those pathways are global studies, European studies and gender and sexuality studies. Students are able to design their own major based on academic interests and career goals.  

“I love that it really is so individualized and that the department is really kind and cares a lot,” Humphries said. “It really is about you and your interests and what your goals are and how we can get you there. You’re able to combine things, normally, you wouldn’t be able to combine and kind of, like, fully craft your own career path.” 

Liberal studies programs allow internship opportunities and prepare students for a variety of careers. The ranging style in classes helps students find their true callings.  

“I’m interested in tax and public policy making because I really love public economics and public health,” Humphries said. “I see working on public policy and how people’s taxes are used and just the best way to help as many people as possible in the most efficient way as they can.” 

A liberal studies degree leads to multiple career options and has exposure to important experiences, such as internships, that help prepare students for future careers. Having a humanities major can help students become more well-rounded and grow as a person.