Notes from Paige’s Playbill: ” We Will Rock You” and its rocking cast

Courtesy of Brian Wallenberg
Lexi Gordy and Ga Ga Kids

The legacy of the infamous rock band Queen lives on through the recent production of “We Will Rock You” put on by the Georgia College Theatre Department. From Feb. 28 to March 3, audiences enjoyed a crowd stomping singalong in Russell Auditorium.

The jukebox musical is set in a distant future, post-apocalyptic society and follows the story of Galileo, played by Bella Eclavea, a senior theatre major, who hears voices and visions of rock music, and Scaramouche, played by Emily Harrell, a sophomore theatre major. In this world, musical expression is prohibited and resides only in the Killer Queen, played by senior theatre major Lexi Gordy, of the iPlanet and her followers, the Ga Ga Kids.

“For anybody, the message is people need to wake up and see the world for what it is right now instead of finding out everything about the world through their phones,” Gordy said.

Throughout the musical, Galileo and Scaramouche join the rebellious, outcast Bohemians in an attempt to revive rock music and embrace individualism. With a battle of good versus evil and a love story subplot, the musical offers something for everyone.

According to Queen Online, the concept for a Queen musical came to life after a meeting with band members Brian May, Roger Taylor and actor Robert De Niro. It was De Niro who asked if a musical had ever been considered. Playwright Ben Elton helped bring the idea to life. 

Since opening in the West End in May 2002, the show has reached over 15 million people and 17 different countries. “We Will Rock You” closed on the West End after a 12-year run. 

Featuring more than 20 songs from “Crazy Little Thing Called Love” to “We Are The Champions,” the musical is full of Queen’s biggest hits and a plethora of classic and contemporary rock references for all ages to enjoy.

This year’s theme for the GC Theatre Department is “Ordinary Heroes.” Across the theatre’s current season, all shows have encompassed the idea of everyday people making a change despite adversity. From “These Shining Lives” to “Leveling Up,” the theme has been exemplified and showcased to audiences.

“You never know what kind of power you have inside of you,” said Jonathan Doss, a sophomore mass communication major who played Brit. “It’s up to you to realize that potential. Anybody can be a hero. You have to have the drive to do it.”

One of the most memorable moments of the night was an unscripted, final performance of “Bohemian Rhapsody” led by Eclavea then followed by the rest of the cast and ensemble. 

“It definitely tied the whole piece together,” said Tanner Harris, a junior English major who served as an usher for the show. “Getting to watch that in person by peers that I love was incredibly moving.”

With a universal message of fighting for what one believes in and using your voice, “We Will Rock You” is the show the GC Theatre Department felt college audiences needed to see in this day and age.