Karlie Gutierrez named PBC Freshman of the week

Courtesy of GC Athletics
GC Athletics
Courtesy of GC Athletics

The Peach Belt Conference recognized GC softball player Karlie Gutierrez as the Freshman Player of the Week for the week of Feb. 19. Gutierrez, a catcher and infielder, was named PBC Freshman of the Week after her impressive recent play on the field.  

“It is an absolute honor to be recognized as PBC Freshman of the Week,” Gutierrez said. “I could not have been more excited to find out that I was nominated and chosen.” 

This is Gutierrez’s first PBC Softball Freshman of the Week award. According to the PBC, after four games last week, Gutierrez had a .600 batting average and a 1.100 slugging average. She picked up a total of six hits, which included a triple and a home run. Gutierrez additionally added five RBI and scored two runs.  

“Great time management and help from my friends and family allow me to continue playing at this level of college ball,” Gutierrez said. “I definitely would not be able to do it without the support I have from my teammates and coaches.”  

The Bobcats played two double header games, with the first being a home series against Erskine College. Gutierrez had a 1-for-3 performance and a walk-off single in the 10th inning of the first game, helping GC win 4-3. In the second series of the week, against Southern Wesleyan University, Gutierrez had a 3-for-4 performance. She got a round-trip shot and three-base knock, with an additional three RBIs.  

“She works hard on the field and encourages others to do the same,” said Sydney Lancaster, a sophomore utility player. “She also puts in work off the field, making time for extra reps and helping other teammates.” 

GC Athletics stated that Gutierrez got the start behind the plate for game one against Erskine and Southern Wesleyan and also started as the designated player in the second game at SWU. 

As just a freshman, Gutierrez is making a big impact on GC softball and leaves fans, her coaches and teammates excited to see what she will bring to the table in the upcoming years.  

“I put in a lot of work before coming to college and over the breaks to maintain my skills and athleticism,” Gutierrez said. “Also, the atmosphere of the team and the athletics program pushes me to want to work harder. My previous teammates and coaches played a huge role in making me the player I am today and would like to thank them for that.”  

Gutierrez’s teammates expressed their love for her and how she plays a very important role in keeping up team spirit.  

“Karlie brings a lot to the team,” Lancaster said. “She adds enthusiasm for the game as well as a dedicated work ethic. She is also a supportive teammate, always ready to cheer others on and celebrate their successes.” 

Watch Gutierrez and the rest of the Bobcats at home on March 12 against Southern Wesleyan at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. for their first Tailgate Tour games of the season.