American Heart Month

GC student’s experiences and heart healthy habits
Heart+month
Julia Jensen Art Director
Heart month

February is American Heart Month, a time to focus on showing love for hearts and spreading awareness about cardiovascular health. 

Heart disease refers to several types of heart conditions and is the leading cause of death in the United States for both men and women in most racial and ethnic groups. It is vital to understand the risk of cardiac events, as one in 20 adults age 20 and older have coronary artery disease, the most common type of heart disease. 

“People talk about it, but they don’t really know what it is,” said Blakely Queen, a senior public health major. “They think heart disease is just suffering a heart attack, but it’s so much more. Heart health is very important to me because cardiovascular disease runs in my family. I didn’t really grow up knowing that I was at risk until I was like 18 or 19.”

Understanding the risk for cardiac events, making healthy choices and taking steps to reduce the chance of getting heart disease is the way to live a heart-healthy lifestyle. Throughout the month, people are encouraged to wear red, especially on Feb. 2, National Wear Red Day. The day is designed to raise awareness for cardiovascular health, specifically in women.

“One in 110 kids are born with a congenital heart defect, and I am one of them,” said Emma Vann, a senior public health major and vice president of GC’s Public Health Student Organization. “I grew up going to the cardiologist and aware of heart disease. I know that being at an increased risk of heart disease has increased my passion for informing and educating others about heart disease and congenital heart defects.”

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in women, yet it is not talked about enough. Generally, heart disease occurs in women about 10 years later than men, which shows the importance of women being proactive in their heart health. 

Menopause puts women at a high risk of heart disease due to the estrogen levels in the body dropping. Women who experience early menopause are at an even higher risk of developing heart disease. Practicing heart-healthy habits and expanding knowledge of heart disease symptoms and conditions will help women take charge of their health.

“I used to work at the Center for Health and Social Issues, and I would help with screening people in the community for high blood pressure,” said Maddy Meiser, a senior public health major and president of GC’s Public Health Student Organization. “It’s shocking how many people had absolutely no idea that they were in extreme hypertension. It’s so dangerous, and they have absolutely no idea, which is why it’s so important to share that information and make people aware.”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, someone has a heart attack every 40 seconds in the United States. Individuals with diabetes or people struggling with obesity are at a higher risk for heart disease. Similarly, people who follow an unhealthy diet, refrain from a regular amount of physical activity or partake in excessive alcohol use are also at a high risk for heart disease. 

A heart-healthy diet includes greens, fruits, lean meats and soy products. The best way to modify one’s diet is to avoid or limit alcoholic beverages, sodium, fatty meats and items high in added sugar.

Maintaining a healthy weight is important because being overweight adds extra stress on the heart and blood vessels. Two and a half hours of moderate-intensity exercise per week can strengthen the heart muscles and lower blood pressure. Making little changes, such as choosing to take the stairs instead of the elevator, can contribute to a heart-healthy lifestyle.