Beyoncé goes country

Beyonc%C3%A9+Knowles-Carter
Courtesy of Youtube
Beyoncé Knowles-Carter

“This ain’t Texas,” but luckily, you do not have to be in Texas to hear Beyoncé  Knowles-Carter’s new country hits, “Texas Hold ‘Em” and “16 Carriages,” or to be excited about her upcoming country album, “Act II.” Beyoncé announced her country album with the release of her two singles on Feb. 11 during Super Bowl LVIII, and the album is set to be released on March 29. 

Her country single “Texas Hold ‘Em” debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot Country Songs chart. Beyoncé is currently the only black woman to have a country song reach No. 1. “Texas Hold ‘Em” has also reached No. 2 on the all-genre Hot 100, as fans are loving the new sound. 

“Beyoncé’s new song is so fun and catchy,” said Lindsey Everidge, a junior mass communication major. “I think it’s amazing that she is the first black woman to reach No. 1 on Billboard for a country song. It’s something I didn’t expect, but I’m here for it!” 

While a country album from Beyoncé may not have been on many people’s 2024 bingo card, TikTok has welcomed the singles, specifically “Texas Hold ‘Em,” with open arms. CBS wrote that many people were not as open to Beyoncé joining the country genre and noted that a radio station in Oklahoma, KYKC, originally decided not to play the new songs. However, the station manager told CBS that he was not aware of the new singles and quickly added them to the playlist when interviewed. 

According to CBS News, “Act II” is the second part of a three-act project that started when Beyoncé released “Renaissance” in 2022. Fans are ecstatic to hear what Beyoncé’s new music will sound like as well as what she will do next.

One very special fan, Dolly Parton, took to Instagram to congratulate Beyoncé on her No. 1 chart spot as well as share her excitement for her joining the country music family. In her post and story, one of the queens of country music gave Beyoncé her stamp of approval. 

“I’m a big fan of Beyoncé and very excited that she’s done a country album,” Parton said via Instagram. “Can’t wait to hear the full album!”

With the banjo playing, Beyoncé’s smooth vocals and fun lyrics, “Texas Hold ‘Em” is quickly becoming a fan and critic favorite. 

“Texas Hold ‘Em” is a strong single with a two-step-worthy rhythm,” said Chris Molanphy, a feature writer and critic at Slate.

At GC, fans of Beyoncé seem to feel similar to Molanphy about the single and the potential that the new album has as well.

I thought it was weird but also kinda hit really hard,” said Hannah Ferrar, a sophomore exercise science major. “I’m here for it and very interested to hear more of the songs.” 

Beyoncé switching genres proves once again the lifelong truth that women in the entertainment industry have to continue to reinvent themselves in order to stay relevant. In episode 37 of Brittany Broski’s podcast, “The Broski Report,” Broski speaks on this topic. She talks about how, in the industry, women are expected to produce something completely new every time they release new things. 

“She doesn’t let the rules of genre define her or get in her way or impede the creative process in any sense,” Broski said on her podcast. 

Another artist that has been critisized for switching genres is Taylor Swift, and in her Netflix Documentary, “Miss Americana”, Swift talks about the expectations of female artists in the music industry. 

“Be new to us, be young to us, but only in a new way and only in the way we want,” said Taylor Swift in “Miss Americana.” “And reinvent yourself, but only in a way that we find to be equally comforting but also a challenge for you.” 

Women in the music industry are constantly criticized for how they perform, what they perform and everything else. Beyoncé, however, using the knowledge and experience she has gained from over 20 years in the music industry, has once again been able to prove that even when it is harder for women, they can still do it better.