SAT Changes post COVID- 19

Julia Jensen
Julia Jensen | Art Director

COVID-19 changed the way everyone lives their daily lives. Everything, from school to work to concerts, has changed greatly from the way it was prior to the pandemic. One of the things that changed the most is the way universities are run. 

Before the pandemic, online classes were very sparse and not very common. Now, if a professor misses a class, that class is not canceled. It is now online. 

But it is not just those things that have changed. Standardized tests have changed as well. Since COVID-19, the SAT has been an optional test until recently, when Dartmouth College reinstated its policy.

The college’s change also suggested that standardized test scores are a better indicator of long-term academic success than GPA. 

“I think the reinstatement of SAT scores as a requirement for college admissions will negatively impact GCSU,” said Hagan Vinson, a freshman biology major. “I think by doing this, you lose so many academic-inclined students who are simply not good test-takers. I believe we are losing so much diversity on campus, which will show in the future and have many negative consequences.”

Fall admissions are making major changes. Not only has the SAT been reinstated, but starting in March, it will also be digital. 

According to USA Today, the SAT will move to a completely digital format starting in March. The traditional format will no longer be available, with exceptions for students with vision or reading disabilities.

“Being test-required is a double-edged sword,” said Clark Myers, the Assistant Director of New Student Programs and the GC Welcome Center. “On one hand, the students who are completing their SAT/ACT and applying to GCSU seem to be much more committed to enrolling in the fall. However, it does limit the pool of applicants we get.”

As one of the three most selective universities in Georgia, GC will be one of the schools to require standardized test scores for fall admissions. In the future, GC hopes to not require test scores, as it does limit the population of applicants, including more diverse applicants. This decision could hinder students who do not have access to test preparation materials and resources.

The phrase “test-optional” is often misleading because applicants who are below an established GPA are stil required to take the SAT or ACT, meaning applications are only test-optional for high-achieving students, who often have the greatest access to additional support.

Being one of Georgia’s most selective universities is a great accomplishment, but it does not always come with easy decisions. 

“It’s important to understand that even being test-required and selective, admissions also practice a holistic review process,” Myers said. “We want people at GCSU who add to the culture and values of this institution. As a liberal arts institution, we are in the business of developing people who contribute positively to both their profession and their communities.”

It is true that students’ SAT and ACT scores and GPAs are great indicators of their academics, but they do not completely reflect them as a person. 

GC has a big future ahead of them when it comes to admissions.