New workforce readiness program targets Milledgeville high schoolers

Pexels
Resume Review for job

GC is in collaboration with the Milledgeville-Baldwin County Chamber of Commerce to launch a new workforce readiness program. This program is targeting high school seniors who are interested in local job opportunities. The program, which is intended to help students find permanent jobs, will take place from June 3 to July 26.  

“I think this program will be successful because chosen students will be able to get jobs and work,” said Olivia Matlack, a senior computer science major. “Students will learn valuable skills, and businesses will have more employees.” 

Students are nominated for the program by their Baldwin County High School counselors. This program will allow students to learn valuable soft skills for future career opportunities. 

“I believe that they are offering this new program for students to get involved with each other and create that mentality for the young generation to be aware of how they can help and contribute to something,” said Christian Reinhard, a senior exercise science major. “It would be an opportunity for them to achieve and make goals for themselves for later in the future.” 

A career fair will be held on April 9 to present the different types of jobs available to students this summer. Local business owners will interview students at the fair, while a committee will match candidates with jobs.  

“I think it will help students in the long run because they’ll learn valuable skills and get real job experiences,” Matlack said. “Students will develop a good work ethic and learn how to balance work and school.” 

While students receive instruction from the Georgia Department of Labor’s GeorgiaBEST curriculum, they will be able to listen to guest speakers, participate in team-building activities and interact with local businesses. All of these are specific to this program and will benefit students in the long run. 

Students will be earning a minimum of $8 an hour working four weeks, with a minimum of 30 hours per week. Some job opportunities available are human resources, assembly line, healthcare, city government, retail, transportation, construction and media groups.  

“If high school students don’t plan on attending a university due to cost or other factors, this workforce readiness program will allow them to obtain a permanent job, providing them with skills such as time management, independence, problem-solving, communication and dedication,” said Shelby Brown, a junior elementary education major.  

This training benefits Milledgeville businesses by creating a pool of experienced candidates. 

Businesses must commit by March 15 to participate. There is a commitment fee of $200 that pays for each student’s instruction and an award ceremony that takes place at the end of the summer.  

“Gaining these qualities will put students on a track towards success by working towards personal goals and upholding values,” Brown said.  

After completing the course, students will receive a certificate of completion, showing they are ready for the workforce.