New FAFSA a source of stress for students

BELLA MCCOMIS

For the 2024-2025 academic school year, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, was changed to a shorter and easier form. Many students have been stressed due to the new deadline and format that came with this form. 

The new FAFSA release date was delayed as a result of laws that have since gone into effect since the 2019-2020 school year. These laws were titled the FAFSA Simplification Act of 2019 and were put in place to help with the predictability and simplification of receiving student financial aid. This moved deadline is causing many admission processes to also be delayed since students are relying on their knowledge of whether they receive aid to accept any offers they get from any universities. 

May 1 is seen as the universal college decision deadline, and now, due to the FAFSA not being returned to schools until March, and then the students until April, many students are having to push back finalizing their college decisions. 

Underserved students already enrolled in a school are not exempt from the stress of the application because they will not know until later in the semester if they will be forced to withdraw from their classes due to lack of aid. 

The Director of Financial Aid at GC, Shannon Simmons explained other ways students could receive aid.

“Right now, we have our ‘24-’25 scholarship application that is available and has been sent through Georgia College emails,” Simmons said.

The availability of other scholarships has become more prevalent now with the uncertainty of the FAFSA and should not be discredited in a way to receive financial aid. Work-study programs are also in place to help the individuals who need aid the most after discussing with the financial aid office. 

“Initially, the idea of the FAFSA looking different did stress me out,” said Sarah Scott, a senior biology major.

Many students put off trying to fill out the new form, as the old one already proved to be so unorganized, but once they began the application process, it relieved a lot of the stress. 

“Just like work for your classes, you should set aside time to fill out the form because even though it is easier, it is different,” Simmons said.

The new form is approximately half of the length of the old one, going from 100 questions to 50. The purpose of the new design was to help give students an easier and less confusing time answering the questions. 

“I have had issues getting tax information from my parents in the past, but this was definitely the easiest time I had filling it out,” said Allie Wiernicki, a junior education major.

Even though the process of filling out the actual form has been simplified, a certain stress still remains. Many seniors attempting to go to grad school are nervously awaiting the news regarding their aid to see if further education is even a possibility. 

“I am in the process of applying to veterinary school, and it is very costly,” Scott said. “Receiving financial aid is going to play a major role in me being able to attend upon acceptance.”

GC maintains its decision deadline due to its rolling admissions. All of the other Georgia universities have also kept their deadlines because they plan on keeping an individual approach to the issues the pushed application deadline may create. 

“FAFSA is really the first step I know how to complete in terms of receiving aid, considering I applied to many different schools,” Scott said.

Students have been able to lean on their understanding of the FAFSA in continuing their education, but now, that stability is shifting. As a new process is rolled out, a learning curve will come with it. GC is committed to its students and will be keeping them informed as much as possible.