Macon’s new amphitheater opening this spring

A new 10,000-seat amphitheater is opening in Macon-Bibb County. Performers Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top are set to perform in the amphitheater first. Construction first started in February 2022 and was originally scheduled to finish in February 2024. Now, it is set to open in March 2024. The amphitheater will be located southeast of the Macon Mall, facing Rocky Creek and Mercer University Drive.

“I would be very interested in seeing Lynyrd Skynyrd and am thinking about buying tickets for the opening show because they’re pretty cheap tickets, and it’d be cool to see the new place,” said Jarrod Boon, a sophomore exercise science major. “Although, depending on how they keep ticket prices, I might go again.”

Opening this new amphitheater will bring a new venue for singers to perform. It will have 2,500 seats in the seating bowl, 1,500 temporary seats on the flat floor and 6,000 lawn seats. It will be known as Atrium Health Amphitheater, after a naming rights partnership with Atrium Health.  

“I think it’s a great addition, especially opening in March because it’s ready for the spring and the summertime when people will wanna go a lot, and I think a lot of students from Mercer will wanna go there,” said Gabby Portka, a sophomore exercise science major. “I think they’ll be successful because if they keep the ticket prices low, people will keep wanting to go.”

Macon is home to Mercer University, along with their well-known downtown area. They also have shopping centers that bring in people from the surrounding areas. Macon is also a popular attraction for college students in the area.

“Me personally, I will not visit the amphitheater,” said Kenzie Masoudpor, a sophomore chemistry major. “I’m not a huge concertgoer, and I don’t really have friends in Macon.”

The amphitheater is expected to bring in business from college students from Mercer and GC due to its closer location than Atlanta’s. Visit Macon expects this amphitheater to bring $2 million to $4 million to the local economy.

“Yeah, so since Atrium Health is in partnership with Mercer Med School, I think it’s a great decision because I think it’s smart to partner with two main enterprises in the area,” Masoudpor said. “I suppose it’ll bring more people in, and then everyone who comes for a concert or something will probably wanna eat somewhere around there or have to stay in a hotel if they’re from out of town.”

The county states down the road there could be potential plans to build a full-service restaurant.

The amphitheater’s business will allow other businesses in Macon to experience new clientele and additional customers. The amphitheater will be expected to bring in money itself but also to the surrounding community and businesses.

The theater’s crew is expected to have green rooms, star dressing rooms, a makeup room,  break room and eating rooms. The theater will provide ample room for guests and performers with a 60-foot deep by 72-foot wide performance stage.

Macon is known for their rich musical history due to the Almond Brothers originating from there. With this history, the amphitheater can be expected to perform well and continue its soulful heritage.