Chiefs win Super Bowl

Kansas City is on top of the football world right now. This past Sunday, The Kansas City Chiefs became only the second franchise in history to win back-to-back Super Bowls, as they bested the San Francisco 49ers in a great season finale, winning by a score of 25-22.

The game got off to a slow start, with the first quarter ending tied 0-0. Both teams made costly mistakes early, including a Christian McCaffrey fumble on the 49ers’ opening drive—only his third fumble lost during the entire season.

The 49ers started the second quarter with a Super Bowl record-setting 55-yard field goal by Jake Moody to take a 3-0 lead. Towards the end of the second, the 49ers found the end zone on a trick-like, double-pass play for 21 yards from wide receiver Jauan Jennings to McCaffrey to go up 10-0. 

With just seconds left before halftime, Harrison Butker hit a 28-yard field goal to pull Kansas City back within one possession and send the game to the break with a 10-3 scoreline.

Many celebrities were in attendance at the big game, headlined by Taylor Swift, Blake Lively and Ice Spice, who saw a fair amount of broadcast time. Usher performed at halftime and threw it back to his glory days, bringing Alicia Keys, Lil John, Ludacris, will.i.am and H.E.R. with him.

The game stalled at the beginning of the third quarter before Butker made another kick for the Chiefs, this one from 57 yards to put the score at 10-6 and break Moody’s Super Bowl record that he set earlier in the night. Late in the third, Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes found wide receiver Marquez Valdez-Scantling on a 16-yard pass into the end zone to take a 13-10 lead after the extra point.

Down three heading into the fourth quarter, the 49ers got going fast to reclaim a 16-13 lead on a 10-yard Brock Purdy touchdown pass to Jennings. The 49ers lead remained only three points due to a huge play in the game made by the Chiefs’ special teams, as Moody’s extra point attempt was blocked. 

For the remainder of regulation, Moody and Butker would trade field goals. Butker hit from 24 yards to tie the game at 16, Moody hit from 53 yards with under two minutes left to reclaim the lead at 19-16 and Butker hit from 29 yards with seconds left to send the game to overtime, tied at 19. Had Moody’s extra point not been blocked, the Chiefs would have been forced to get into the end zone and win the game.

The 49ers won the toss and elected to receive the opening kickoff of the overtime period. On the ensuing drive, Moody hit again from 27 yards to take a 22-19 lead. By overtime rules, on the Chiefs’ next possession, they would have to match the field goal or win the game by scoring a TD. On a massive fourth and one, Mahomes ran for nine yards to keep the game alive.

Later on in the drive, Mahomes would find wide receiver Mecole Hardman on a three-yard TD pass to win the game 22-25.

Had the 49ers won the game, the MVP would have likely been Juaun Jennings, who joined Nick Foles as the only player in Super Bowl history to throw and catch a touchdown pass. However, rallying his team to yet another comeback and the clutch overtime TD, Mahomes nabbed the award. He completed 34 of 46 passing attempts for 333 yards and two TDs.

The trophy presentation was highlighted by Mahomes being asked about the Chiefs being a dynasty. 

“This is the start of one,” Mahomes said. “We aren’t done.”