Brady Spence earns Player of the Week award

There are plenty of factors that helped the Bobcats grab two big wins over Clayton State University and Georgia Southwestern State University. One of the biggest contributors during this streak of games has been GC center Brady Spence, who was recently awarded the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week award for his performances in these games.

Spence received the award while averaging a double-double with 13.5 points per game and 10 rebounds per game. Those stats are great, but his impact goes so much further than just rebounding and scoring. Spence is also an elite defender for the Bobcats and a great leader on and off the court.

“My recent success and player of the week award was definitely a confidence booster — not only for myself, but for the team,” Spence said. “Getting two big wins to conclude the first half of the conference season puts us in a better position to accomplish our main goal: making the conference tournament. I’m hoping this confidence can transfer into the rest of the season to win more games.”

Spence’s performances on the court, both offensively and defensively, have helped boost the Bobcats to several wins this season, and if he can continue to play at a high level with his teammates on the court, they can achieve their goal of making the conference tournament.

Fellow members of the team have voiced their opinion on the overall impact that Spence has had over the past few games and his importance to the team all season long.

“It has been a major motivating factor,” said Richard Crawford, a redshirt senior guard. “Sometimes, throughout games, Brady will get double-teamed by the opposing team, yet he still goes out and gives 110% and continues to contribute in other ways, such as defense, rebounding and being a leader on the court.”

The success of one player on a team can set a precedent for everyone else on the court, and it is clear from sources within the team that Spence’s play in the past few games — and all year — has pushed this team to play as one and to give 110% at practice, especially during their games. 

Spence has shown what his skillset truly can offer the team, and if he can keep up with these stellar defensive games and continue to be a force on the glass, this may open up tons of new opportunities for our team to get better and even more confident as the season comes to a close.

With this mindset as their primary goal, it can kickstart a late surge to push this team into a possible deep run in the conference tournament.

“His presence inside alone makes a huge difference for our defense,” said Austin Sloan, a junior forward. “We feel like we can pressure the guards on the outside because he’s such an elite back line. Brady also leads us in rebounding, and without him grabbing the boards the way he does, we would be getting out-rebounded by a large margin.”

The GC men’s team has players that exceed in so many statistical categories, and it is evident in the stats and the statements by his teammates that Spence is a rebound machine and a defensive mastermind on the court. His impact on the team is undeniable.