Rigsbee earns Zaxby’s Player of the Week Award

The GC men’s basketball team currently sits at a 9-9 record and is in the midst of a two-game win streak. One of the largest contributions to the early success of the Bobcats this season has been the performance of redshirt sophomore guard Brendan Rigsbee.

Rigsbee has recently been awarded the Zaxby’s Player of the Week award for the third time this season, recording a points per game, or PPG, average of 18.5, which led the team during this week span. His role on the court has been important in different ways, as he is a great passer and currently the team’s leader in rebounds.

Rigsbee says that his success has come from practicing daily and knowing what role he needs to play in each game.

“The biggest role in my performances recently have been not worrying about individual accolades and just focusing on what I can do to help the team win,” Rigsbee said. “If I need to pass a lot, or if I need to score, just understanding that I need to take what the defense gives us.”

Rigsbee’s performances have not just been helping his own individual stats, but his unselfish play and leadership have helped in the overall success of the team as a whole.

Many members of the GC basketball team have shown their appreciation for the sophomore guard’s team-first mentality and his drive to win.

Austin Sloan is a junior forward and management information systems, or MIS, major. Sloan says that Rigsbee has always been a leader on this team since the preseason, and his recent success is not what made him into the leader he is on the court today.

“Briggs has been a leader for this team from the start of preseason,” Sloan said. “With him getting the experience of last year under his belt, we all can recognize him as someone who can vocally lead us and lead by example.”

When fans watch GC games, they may only have the view of the court while watching, and they can see the connection that Rigsbee has with his teammates. That does not show all the hard work that this team has gone through behind closed doors. The work they have put in during the off-season is where all the trust between teammates comes from, and leadership is not earned overnight, so as fans, everyone must understand that Rigsbee’s impact for this team goes so much further than how they interpret from the stands.

Teammates of Rigsbee’s have made it very clear that his recent success has benefited all of them and is a big contributor as to how their season has gone thus far.

“It has helped a lot,” said Ian Davis, a redshirt guard. “He has been a big part of any success we’ve had and is pretty much the engine of the team that keeps us going.” 

The GC basketball team has so many talented players that have been playing great for the Bobcats this past season, and Rigsbee’s comments should only cement the fact that they truly play for each other out there. If our Bobcats can keep playing at this level, GC basketball players may be winning many more Zaxby’s Player of the Week awards.

This is evident because Rigsbee seemed to always preach that a team mentality is important for team success and how to help himself get better, but more importantly, helping his fellow Bobcats develop confidence along the way.

If the Bobcats can continue to play a selfless style, the sky is the limit for this team.