Super Bowl preview

Super Bowl LVIII is set, with the San Francisco 49ers facing off against the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday, Feb. 11, in Las Vegas. 

The No. 1 seeded 49ers scraped their way through the playoffs with a win against the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Divisional Round, then came back from a 17-point second-half deficit to defeat the Detroit Lions 34-31 in the NFC Championship game. 

The underdog Chiefs defeated the Buffalo Bills and the No. 1 seeded Baltimore Ravens 17-10 in the AFC Championship, making it their fourth Super Bowl appearance in the past five years. This is a rematch for these two teams, who last played in 2020, when the Chiefs defeated the 49ers 31-20, beginning the reign of quarterback Patrick Mahomes and Chiefs coach Andy Reid. 

The Chiefs struggled offensively throughout the regular season but seem to have figured it out and dominated through the playoffs. Mahomes hopes to lead the team to win back-to-back Super Bowls, which has not happened since Tom Brady led the New England Patriots to titles in 2003 and 2004. 

Mahomes is widely regarded as one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, even though this regular season has been his worst statistically. This season, he posted career lows in interceptions (14), touchdown rates (4.5 percent), passer rating (92.6) and yards per attempt (7.0). Yet, Mahomes seems to be at his best on the biggest stages, under pressure. During the playoffs, Mahomes threw four TDs and zero interceptions. 

The 49ers are still ranked second in all-time Super Bowl wins with five wins in seven appearances, although they do not have the fondest Super Bowl memories in the past few years, with their last Super Bowl win in 1995. 

What the Niners have going for them is their star power. They had nine players selected for the NFL Pro Bowl, the most of any team, and 12 chosen as alternates. 

Once the 49ers get rolling, it is hard to stop them, as they won 12 regular season games, by an average of 19 points. 

Niners QB Brock Purdy, “Mr. Irrelevant,” has been anything but that this season. Purdy has a record of 21-5 and a .808 winning percentage this season. When the Niners were down against the Lions, Purdy kept his cool and led the team to an impressive 17-point comeback. 

Kansas City has star power of their own in the form of tight end Travis Kelce. Kelce had a slow start to this season but, in the postseason, has turned it around, like most of the Chiefs offense, totaling 392 receiving yards and three TDs. 

Kelce’s relationship with pop star Taylor Swift has also brought the Chiefs a whole new group of young fans. 

“I don’t really follow an NFL team, but I think it is especially going to be cool this year because I’m a big Swiftie and a Kelce brothers fan,” said Sara Henderson, a sophomore nursing major. “I love getting to see a team that I know has worked for it.” 

NFL experts have locked in their predictions, with most favoring Kansas City. Many predicted this outcome from Week One, with the reigning champs facing off against a stellar No. 1 seeded 49ers. 

“The 49ers and the Chiefs?” said Thomaas Villalobos, a junior accounting major. “Of course, the Chiefs are going to win. No one is really excited about this game.” 

Purdy and Niners head coach Kyle Shanahan are leading the hunt, fighting for that elusive sixth Super Bowl win to tie with the Pittsburgh Steelers and Patriots for all-time Super Bowl wins.