GC basketball teams start to heat up

GC Athletics
RS senior guard Richard Crawford III

The GC men’s and women’s basketball programs now have a few games under their belt, as the season has started back up.

The women’s team started their season with two losses on the road. They then bounced back in their home opener with a dominant win over Fort Valley State University on Nov. 15.

Five players finished the night with double digits in points, including freshman Hannah Cail, who led the team with 20 points. Fifteen of Cail’s 20 points came from beyond the arc.

Alexa Geary had a great game coming off the bench, shooting 50% from the three-point arc. She finished the night with 12 points and was the second-leading scorer for the Bobcats.

Ashyia Willis and Jaleah Storr each had 11 points as the team’s third-leading scorers. Miracle Parker was the last of the double-digit shooters, as she knocked down 10 points in the game.

Cierra Foster was also a big help for the Bobcats with her eight assists on the night. Forward Jada Warren had a great game as well, chalking up 10 rebounds, eight points and two blocks.

Dashaun Jackson was the Bobcats’ second-leading rebounder with four a piece from each basket.

The men’s team had a great second-half comeback against North Greenville University on Nov. 12 that advanced them to 2-0 on the season.

GC went into the half trailing the Crusaders 35-31, but they came out in the second half with some sharpshooting to outscore NGU 38-31.

The offense saw four players reach double digit points for the game. Zyair Greene led the shooting effort, as he dropped 15 points, including nine points from behind the three-point line.

Richard Crawford III was right behind him with 14 points in the game. Crawford shot 100% from the free-throw line.

Austin Sloan was the squad’s third-leading scorer, as he picked up 11 points, nine of which came from behind the arc. Brendan Rigsbee rounded out the team’s double-digit scorers, as he put up 10 points.

Rigsbee is confident in the team’s performance so far in the season.

“It feels good because we seem to be getting better every game, and our practices have been very productive,” Rigsbee said.

Brady Spence came up just short of the double-digit mark with eight points. Rigsbee led the team in assists with four, while Greene, Spence and Crawford added three each.

Sloan is aware of the ways the team will need to grow in order to see sustained success.

“We need to continue to focus on ourselves,” Sloan said. “We can’t beat ourselves up and allow more talented teams easy opportunities that we can’t control.”

Both GC and NGU had the same number of rebounds at 42, but the Bobcats were able to snag 15 offensive rebounds to the Crusaders’ 10.

Brady Spence used his stature to lead the team in the rebound effort, bringing down 13. Spence took control under both baskets, with six on offense and seven on defense.

The Bobcats go on the road to face Albany State on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 4 p.m.