USWNT appoints Emma Hayes as head coach

Will the USWNT bounce back from World Cup loss with Hayes as new coach?
ZUMA / MGN

The United States Soccer Federation has appointed Emma Hayes as the 10th full-time head coach in U.S. Women’s National Team history.

Hayes, 47, was the long-time head coach for Chelsea FC, one of the most successful women’s teams in Europe. She started her coaching career in the U.S. over two decades ago and will now take the helm of the USWNT.  

“This hire is great for the Women’s National Team,” said Christian Castillo, a senior mass communication major. “This is exactly what they need after the disappointing World Cup performance.”

After growing up in London and attending Liverpool University, Hayes came to the U.S. in 2001. She coached at the youth level, working with players as young as under-eight level, with numerous clubs in the Long Island area.

Hayes’s first head coaching job was with the Long Island Lady Riders in the USL W-League from 2001 to 2003. She was the youngest female head coach in the league and was named W-League Coach of the Year in 2002.

U.S. Soccer Sporting Director Matt Crocker led a worldwide search process and made the final decision to appoint Hayes as head coach. Hayes will become the highest paid women’s soccer coach in the world. 

Hayes will finish the 2023-24 Women’s Super League season in England and then will officially join the U.S. team two months prior to the start of the 2024 Olympics in Paris. When Hayes officially joins the U.S. Soccer team, she will have four matches on the U.S. bench before the Olympics, two in June and two in July.

“I think hiring a new head coach only two months before the Olympics is very risky,” said Ashlyn Hawley, a junior early education major. “They are going to have barely any time to develop a strong chemistry and strategy.”

Hayes comes to U.S. Soccer after leading the Chelsea FC Women for the last 11 seasons. Hayes was appointed as the Blues manager in August 2012 and has won six Women’s Super League titles, one WSL Spring Series title, five Women’s FA Cups and two FA Women’s League Cups with the team.

“Just because she has not played any professional soccer herself, it does not mean she is not capable of being a good coach,” said Denise Fajardo, a junior exercise science major. “She has proved that she is more than capable of being successful as a professional coach.”

Chelsea also made the UEFA Women’s Champions League Final in 2021. Hayes was named the Best FIFA Women’s Coach of the Year for 2021 and is a finalist again for the award this year. 

Hayes has led the club to five WSL and Cup doubles, winning the league and the FA Cup four times and the league and the League Cup once. Chelsea won the treble in the 2020-2021 season, taking the WSL, FA Cup and League Cup trophies.

With Hayes joining the team only two months before the Olympics, we will have to wait and see just how this decision pays off for the USWNT.