I should be Mrs. Chris Evans: a journey through my grief

Jennifer Crider , Editor in Chief
Jennifer Crider , Editor in Chief

On Sept. 9, Chris Evans, the beautiful “Captain America” actor, married Alba Baptista and broke the hearts of thousands of women, including – most importantly – me.

I will always remember when I found out he was officially another woman’s husband. I was at home, folding laundry, and suddenly, I heard my roommate yell my name. She came hurtling down the stairs, and I met her in the doorway of my room. “Chris Evans got married” was the last thing I heard before falling to the floor in agony. 

The two of us had tears pooling in our eyes as we sat on the hallway floor, displaying our pain to our roommates. I had never known such sorrow.

Much to my dismay, the story actually gets worse. I found out the next day that not only did Evans get married this month, but before they tied the knot, he had been living in Atlanta for a full year. Not only was he willing to be with someone 20 years younger than him, but he was just two short hours away. Naturally, I found myself moving through every stage of grief.

Denial- There is no way he is married to someone that is not me. Not when the greatest obstacles, age and distance, were both seemingly resolved. Hear me out, though. It was a “small ceremony,” no pictures have been posted, and Evans deleted all of his social media. What if this is just the tabloids thinking he got married? It could all be a sham, a lie, an accidental reporting even. Maybe what really happened is that they broke up, and he is taking some time to himself.

Anger- Evans, age 42, married 26-year-old Alba Baptista. I am only six years younger than her. So you are telling me that the age difference would not have bothered him, and I am still not his wife? Absolutely outrageous. I have been in love with Evans since I was 12 years old, I have seen almost every one of his films, as well as supporting his private ventures. I have put so much time and effort into our relationship, and for what? For him to go off and marry some other 20-something-year-old? He has no idea what he just threw away.

Bargaining- I have done enormous amounts of research to identify exactly what is wrong with their relationship, but everyone is just being really negative about the age difference, which does not help me at all. Searching the phrase “Alba Baptista bad” did not bring anything of substance either; however, I know that she will never be good enough for him. She will never love him the way that I love him. One day, he will realize something just is not right, and then he will find me.

Depression- After years of loving devotion to the “Knives Out” star, there were so many feelings to process after learning of his nuptials. The strongest of those? Sadness. To go through such an immense loss at such a young age was very difficult. It was like no break up I had ever experienced before; it was a different kind of heartache that left me feeling like the blue girl in “Inside Out.” 

Acceptance- Days have passed, I have shared many TikToks and posts about my sadness, and I have looked for every explanation possible. Finally, I am in a place where I can be happy for Evans. All I have ever wanted was for him to be happy, even if right now, it is not with me. I am sure that him and Dodger, his dog, and Alba will make a great little family. 

All this to say, Chris, I am still single, and if it does not work out with Alba, I will be waiting.