Dear Freshman

Julia Jensen, Art director

I can still vividly remember the moment I watched my mom gently close the door behind her as she walked out of my freshman door with tears in her eyes, and a few escaping mine. As the door shut, I was left by myself, with only an ominous question lingering in the stiff air: “What now?”

What was I supposed to do now? How did I get here? How am I meant to live on my own? 

Until now, my family had been my guiding compass down every winding road. Every spare moment and weekend plan revolved around my spontaneous mom and placid older brother. The days that followed were met by endless tears and countless phone calls. After each call, I was simultaneously better but also worse than before. I was overjoyed at the sound of my family’s voice from 200 miles away but utterly despondent to the fact that I was not with them.

One year later, I can look back at my freshman self, and I now understand why the transition affected me so deeply. I have come to appreciate the growth within me that it fostered. However, if it were not for the many triumphs and failures as a newly-independent college student, this growth could not have occurred. 

1. Simply a similarity

The very first friends I made at college were the result of me putting myself out of my comfort zone, extending a smile and saying, “Hi, I am Paige.”

During one instance, I overheard a girl talking about how hard moving away had been for her too. I immediately jumped into the conversation, feeling connected and understood by the girl. We shared stories about move-in-day tears and bonded over how much we missed our moms. Suddenly, this whole college thing was starting to not feel so lonely.

On my first day of class, I sat next to a girl because I noticed she had stickers on her laptop of music I liked. I struck up a conversation with her. Now, she is one of my roommates and closest friends at college. 

Nothing makes you feel more at home than good friends. If it were not for me taking the first steps when I felt so low, I would not have many of the friends I hold closest today.

1. The importance of involvement

As cliché as it sounds, get involved early in the school year. The sooner you find out more about what your campus has to offer, the sooner you can find your niche.

Eager to find a sense of community and try something new, I attended multiple interest meetings at the start of my freshman year. Some of the organizations did not work out, but many of them did, and the important thing was that I was able to learn something from each of these experiences.

With each extracurricular I joined or tested out, I met someone new or gained insight about myself. I have acquired and built fundamental skills professionally and personally that I will carry with me throughout my life.

Your college years are unlike any other time in your life. You have a plethora of resources and information at your fingertips instantaneously. I urge every freshman to take advantage of at least one club, society, program or organization offered at GC. 

1. It gets better. Really, it does.

The first few weeks, and even months, of college can feel isolating, uncomfortable and chaotic. Many freshmen find themselves questioning their decisions and if they are on the right path.

It is true that comparison is the thief of joy. It can seem as if everyone around you is adjusting to college life quite well, and all you can think about is your next trip back home.

My best advice? Give yourself time. 

You are presently in some of your most formative years. Make mistakes. Meet new people. Try everything at least once. With time, the homesick pit you feel in your stomach will lessen, and in its place, you will find excitement and satisfaction with your new college experiences. It is unique to you and you only. 

You will learn that when you find your people and your passions, everything else falls seamlessly into place.

Make the most of it. Have an abundance of grace with yourself. I am rooting for you, Class of 2027.