Coin Q&A

News Editor Rebecca Meghani sat with COIN before their performance at GC’s first Spring concert

COIN performs for GC students in the Centennial Center

Anna Leavitt

Rebecca Meghani, News Editor

Q: Uncanny Valley is one of your most experimental records to date and explores what it means to be human. What was your inspiration behind this, and how did it help create this album?

A: Chase Lawrence: We all watched this documentary around the time we started making it called “AlphaGo,” and it’s about this robot that plays this game called Go which is like chess but times a thousand like there are a million permutations you can play. A lot of the best Go players just say the best moves. Sometimes, it just feels right. They don’t even know why they make it, because it’s paralyzing to think about what you can do. It just feels like the right move.  

So, I like this idea that they created technology to emulate human intuition, and we reverse-engineered that and made a whole album about what it means to be human. 

Q: Will you continue to build on that theme in the music you’re creating currently?

A: Joe Memmel: TBD? 

Matt Martin: We’re soul searching.

Ryan Winnen: It’s unavoidable. 

Joe Memmel: It’s all tied together.

Chase Lawrence: We’re all just figuring it out, you know?

Q: What do you hope your listeners got from this album that makes it different from previous albums, specifically with the connection of learning and loving?

A: Chase Lawrence: We’re not the ones to talk about human meaning. We’re all just trying to figure this out, but I think that we all came to this conclusion that the point of this whole life is to become better than you were yesterday, slightly more clarified today than you were the day before, and I think you just do that until you die. I think that’s the closest we’ll ever get to an answer to what this life is. Just getting better every day. That’s the goal.

Joe Memmel: Learning and loving.