GC men’s tennis on three-game win streak

Christian Castillo, Contributing Writer

After another beautiful weekend in Milledgeville, the men’s tennis team sits at 5-2 with two home wins against Converse and Catawba. 

The Bobcats were dominant on Saturday in their 7-0 sweep of Converse. The only loss of the match came in doubles play, where the Bobcats won two of three matches. GC sported a perfect 6-for-6 record in singles. 

A major moment in the match came from sophomore Karol Malirz and junior Enzo Sergi winning 7-6 in the crucial tie-breaking match for doubles play. This doubles duel of Malirz and Sergi against Leopold Morel and Marty Letessier of Converse was the highlight of the event. 

Malirz and Sergi were key players for GC, as they outmatched and outlasted Converse with impressive return shots and merciless serves. In a high pressure, tie-breaking scenario, these two brought intensity and an edge for the Bobcats, which is a promising sight heading into conference play. 

Malirz and Sergi also saw involvement after this huge match, both finding singles wins. Malirz defeated Gregoire Legrand of Converse in two sets 6-0, 6-1. Sergi defeated Paul Berrouet of Converse, also in two sets 6-2, 7-5. 

Junior Jorge Robinson was another key player for the Bobcats. Robinson put on a strong display by teaming up with redshirt-sophomore Aurélien Arlot to beat Gregoire Legrand and Paul Berrouet of Converse 6-4.

Robinson’s strongest moment of the match came in his singles duel with Converse’s Enzo Marcheschi. After losing the first set 6-1, Robinson turned on the heat to come back with wins in back-to-back sets 6-4, 6-4 and take the match. 

Freshman Luka Sauer Jiminez also pulled a comeback in the last two sets of his match against Leopold Morel of Converse. Morel jumped to a one-set lead 6-4, before Jimnez dominated the last two sets 6-2, 6-1. 

“The team performed pretty well,” said redshirt-senior Jack Sorel. “We got two solid wins that we’re ready to build on going into conference play.” 

When asked about how the team looks going into conference play, Sorel added, “This is the best team we’ve had since I’ve been here. We’re definitely looking to do some damage”. 

The Bobcats proved this weekend that they are a force to be reckoned with. 

“This is the best team we have had since I have been here,” Sorel said. “We’re definitely looking to do some damage.”

Dominance and intensity paired with crucial comebacks by Jiminez and Robinson gave the Bobcats the opportunity of a perfect record in the singles matches, as the rest of the matches were finished in two sets. 

“We’re gonna work hard as a team, day in and day out to give ourselves the best chance of taking the PBC conference title for Bobcat nation,” Sorel said. 

The Bobcats are heating up for a great run in conference play and the conference tournament. This weekend, the team displayed a combination of both talent and a desire to win. 

They will look to continue their win streak this Tuesday, March 7, on the road at Auburn Montgomery.