Alexa Geary wins Bobcat Athlete of the Week

Courtesy of GC Athletics

Sophomore Guard Alexa Geary shoots three-pointer versus Lander on Wednesday Jan. 25.

Emily Henderson, Staff Writer

GC women’s basketball has had many standout players this season which have contributed to their successful year. One player in particular is sophomore guard Alexa Geary. Her outstanding performance for the Bobcats during the week of Jan. 22 awarded her with her third Bobcat Athlete of the Week title this season.

GC women’s basketball had two games the week of Jan. 22, where Geary made important contributions. 

The Bobcats were first in action on Jan. 25 against Lander University. Geary had an impressive game, scoring 23 points, pulling in two rebounds and dishing out two assists in her 25 minutes of play. This was her highest scoring game of this season.

She shot an outstanding seven three-pointers and made both of her free throws. With the help of Geary, the Bobcats beat Lander 58-45.

GC played again on Jan. 28 against Columbus State University. Despite the tough loss, Geary still performed well. She scored 13 points and racked up four assists against the tough Cougar defense. 

Making three big three-pointers this game, she went an outstanding 10-20 from the three-point line. Geary averaged 18.0 points and 3.0 assists during the week of Jan. 22, after these two big performances. 

“My performance has been good,” Geary said. “I’ve had some ups and downs that I have had to go through. My team picks me up, and that 23-point game is just because of them.”

The adjustment from high school to college athletics is a big change of pace. For Geary, a year of experience under her belt has brought out her best this year.

“She has gotten a little bit more confident going into year two,” said head coach Ross Jolly. “I think that she is not necessarily a leader of the team, but she has led more, led herself and given more leadership to the team. Confidence and leadership are probably the biggest two things that she has improved of as she gets a year older from last season.”

Geary’s confidence can be seen in her improved stats from last season. She has already scored 55 more points than she did all of last season. Her points per game increased from 8.4 to 11.6. 

While her number of shots made has increased, her number of attempted shots has also increased, which also shows how Geary is more confident this season.

Geary has had a huge impact on the GC women’s basketball team and has helped her team in many ways with their successful season. 

“She has been a spark when we need it sometimes,” said senior guard Harper Vick. “She has hit big threes when we need it. She knocks down her free throws in clutch moments, so she has really just been a key person we can look to to hit a three-point shot when we really need it.” 

For many athletes, they will never credit themselves for their success, but for the people around them who push them to be better every day. 

“I thank the Lord himself, he pushes me every single day,” Geary said. “My team pushes me every single day, so they are both up there when it comes to my success, and definitely the head band, it has good luck.”