Cultivating on-campus celebrations

Black History Month at GC

Liliana Kovacheva, Senior Writer

Black History Month is an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and a time for recognizing their central role in U.S. history. It starts Feb. 1 and ends March 4.
Although Black History Month is celebrated in the month of February, it is meant to inspire ongoing reflection on the diversity that strengthens our collective identity as Americans and as true global citizens. GC works to contribute to the understanding of human progress. 

“I didn’t really know about any events going on this month,” said senior marketing major Savannah Peebles. “I feel as if GC could — and probably should — use more advertisement for the events. Maybe use more posters and banners, or even chalk on the sidewalks, like you see Greek life use.”

GC highlights about six events in celebration of Black History Month. During the month of February, each Thursday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chef Enoch Rutherford will explore the influence and proliferation of southern food traditions through a series of featured meals served from Chef’s Table in the Max. 

In the Russell Library, there are two exhibits for viewers. An exhibit developed by contributed digital artifacts is on display in the library. In the Russell Library Special Collections Gallery, you will find “The Soul of Georgia,” which documents the development of a distinct facet of American cultural history through the music of Black Georgia musicians. 

Senior management major Dalton Johnson recalls seeing some of the artifacts while walking through the library.