What’s on the Voters Mind

Due to recent political and social disputes, these issues have been a popular discussion among students. This is furthered by the midterm elections taking place this November, calling students to their civic duty for the change that they desire. With history making decisions taking place this year, like the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, students have taken strong stances in their positions.

“I believe women should be in control of their own bodies, and even if I was a guy I’d think that too,” said Julia Seely, a sophomore psychology major. “You can’t take away abortions, you can only take away safe abortions.” 

Students have voiced their concerns with this change in precedent and includes many facets that are pertinent to the discussion. There has been an overwhelming amount that abortion rights has been discussed since the overturning that has incentivized many voters wanting more voter participation now more than ever. With the midterm elections having potential to change the party majority in the Senate, it makes it a critical election to participate in for all voters and potential change in women’s healthcare that could have life-changing impacts.

“It’s a divisive issue, and it should be at the forefront of everyone’s mind, no matter what side you’re on,” said Anson Wesner, a sophomore accounting major.

Another issue that resonates with many students on campus is inflation. 

“I don’t know much about politics but I do know that inflation is frustrating as a college student,” said Haleigh Weaver, a sophomore studio art major.

Students are beginning to worry about prices in correlation with a minimal income and this is evident through Weaver’s response.

However, some would view this fact with a tentative accuracy as Drew Oldham, sophomore psychology major, comments on censorship in the news and the chances that what is said is true by saying, 

“It’s important because it’s getting to a point where it’s unclear what is allowed to be said and it’s one of those things where it’s coupled with more extremist views that are becoming propagated overall. The environment is becoming more extreme of what is being said, but it’s also being less clear for what is allowed to be said,” said Oldham. 

Oldham stated concern with the growing ambiguity of the media and the free speech crisis that is becoming apparent through our own experiences with social media.

“However, all of these fears and thoughts are nothing without someone in power to either protect or enact them,” Oldham said. “I hope that some more moderate or independent candidates, even if they don’t win, would gain traction to neutralize the two-party system.

Other students are uninformed about specific candidates but make it clear that they do want a person in office that is respectable enough for the title. 

“I don’t know names, but I think it would be ideal for someone to win who actually cares and doesn’t just focus on making everyone else look bad,” Seely said.

It is difficult to ignore the issues that are on the ticket this year since some students are directly impacted and affected by the decisions. Regardless of the outcome, this election will clearly shed light on the political future that we face.