Drive by shooting near GC’s dorms

Katherine Futch, Editor in Chief

Shortly after midnight on Sept. 30, over 60 rounds were unloaded towards the Wray Homes/West End Projects, less than two miles from GC’s dormitory buildings. The four suspects fled the drive-by shooting. It resulted in a high-speed chase through Bonner Park, directly across from The Depot and Foundation hall. 

Authorities have since arrested three of the four suspects. One suspect was found hiding in the bathrooms by the basketball courts at Bonner Park. Another was found hiding in nearby bushes. Law enforcement tackled another suspect. They did not find the fourth subject, who is still at large. 

The GC community received an email early Sept. 30 about the event. In the email, the GCPD alerted students of the subject still at large, saying he was unable to be located and apprehended. They said that while they believed he was not still in the area, members of the campus community should be vigilant,

Multiple law enforcement agencies, including a K-9 unit, participated in the search for the fourth suspect. GCSU police also reviewed footage from the incident from cameras near GC properties on Greene Street.

In an interview with Baldwin 2k News, Milledgeville Police Chief Dray Swicord said that he “absolutely” believes this incident is gang-related. Swicord added that he is glad one of the suspects, Travis Simmons, is “off the streets.”

“He’s responsible for probably 75-80 percent of the shootings and gun violence we’ve had lately,” Swicord said. “It’s safe to say that Travis Simmons will probably never see the light of day again.”

Simmons was on bond this past weekend and had 40 years remaining on his sentence.

Law enforcement brought nine aggravated assault charges against the three suspects, as well as four counts of third-degree child cruelty, reckless conduct, possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime and unauthorized discharge of a firearm within 50 yards of a public highway. 

Anyone with any information on the fourth suspect, still at large, is asked to call the MPD tip line at 478-414-4413.