Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mark Gainous Steps Down

Bailey Clark, Senior Writer

Mark Gainous, the GC men’s basketball head coach, has announced his retirement from GC. Gainous recently led the Bobcats to their first Division II March Madness tournament since the 2009-10 season. He also secured the PBC Coach of the Year honor this season, his second in eight years as head coach for the Bobcats.

Coach Gainous has been the head coach for GC since the 2014-15 season. Throughout his eight years in Milledgeville, he has accumulated 115 wins and two Conference Coach of the Year honors.

During his first season in Milledgeville, the team was 9-19, and in his final season, the squad finished with a 21-8 record. Gainous helped to lead the turnaround of the men’s basketball program, making them the most-watched sport at GC. Gainous picked up the 100th win of his GC career against No. 25 Miles College.

“This past season, I had the most fun I have ever had coaching in my 20-plus seasons as a coach,” Gainous said. “It was the closest team and the most unselfish group I have ever had the privilege to work with. Go Bobcats!”

Not only has Gainous developed the program as a whole, but he has developed players on an individual level. In his mainstay here at GC, he led more than 20 players to All-PBC honors.

He also coached GC star Jordan Thomas throughout his entire career where he broke the school’s scoring record and recorded over 2,000 points. This season, Thomas was named PBC Player of the Week and was named a member of the All-Region and All-District teams. The star combo guard was also invited to the NABC All-Star Game.

Coach Gainous’ decision to step down was a family decision as they have recently moved to Perry, Georgia. Gainous has accepted a job as the head coach for the Perry High School boys basketball team.

GC is still searching for a head coach for the future.