Queens and Queens Only

The stage was on fire at Buffington’s on Thursday night at 10:30 p.m. and the crowd went wild for the annual drag show. The entire bar was filled with singing, dancing, and a spirit of inclusivity.

The GC Pride Alliance works hard all year to host the event finding performers as far away as Atlanta and Macon, to even right on Georgia College’s campus. The event brings together the community in a fun and exciting atmosphere with an art form that is not seen often in Milledgeville.

Kendra Key, a senior political science major with a criminal justice minor and vice president of the Pride Alliance at Georgia College, planned her second drag show this year. She brought all new performers to the stage featuring a group of performers from The Tribe, a drag troupe out of Macon, Georgia.

GC Pride Alliance sells tickets for the show in order to host the event, pay the performers, and raise money for other events that they have on campus. The club stands for education advocacy and community building and meets on Tuesdays at the Hub.

The process of creating the event starts early in the year by forming a rough schedule, reaching out to performers, and reviewing applications from student performers. Student performers work hard from auditioning to rehearsals to the night of the show.

Jenna Byrd and Kane Nicholson cohosted the show this year. The two combined helped to ignite the crowd and welcome all performers to the stage.

Jenna Byrd, a senior mass communications major with a minor in marketing, spoke about how thankful she is for such a fun event that takes a lot of hard work to put on.

“As someone who enjoys watching drag and as someone who enjoys music, dancing, outfits, flashing lights, it curates such great energy in the room. Everyone is so happy and accepting.” said Byrd on hosting the show.

The Annual drag show has become a special event in Milledgeville. The show itself creates an open and accepting environment. Many first-time drag show attendees are in the audience and are able to experience a new form of art that is not often seen locally.

“A drag show in a place that is largely heterosexual and predominantly white that a lot of queer people do not feel safe going to, [having the drag show] solidifies their place on campus,” says Key about the importance of the event to the community of Milledgeville.

The goal of the drag show is to celebrate self-expression and fun for the community. The environment of the drag show is one that is judgment-free and love all around.

“Modern-day drag combines figuring out gender identity, figuring out sexuality, and your expression as an artist whether it is as a drag queen, king, or drag performer even, you don’t have to go by any of the titles.”, says Byrd about the unique experience of modern-day drag.

The show sold out this year and was a success thanks to everyone’s contributions. The GC Pride Alliance deserves the credit as well as Buffington’s and the performers who showcased show-stopping talents. Don’t miss the chance to be a part of a fun night filled with dancing, singing, and community next year.