GC Soccer Twins Part Ways for the First Time

Bailey Clark, Senior Writer

The sports world is not a stranger to twin power duos. The GC soccer team has a duo of their own in Alexis and Alyssa Bergamini.

The Bergamini twins originally hail from West Suffield, Connecticut. The two of them started their soccer career at GC in 2018 and have played in a combined 126 games. During their four years together, they only connected three times on a goal and assist, and two of those goals occurred in the 2021 season.

Alyssa has wrapped up her career as a Bobcat and plans to continue her education at the University of Central Florida. Alexis is taking advantage of her extra year of eligibility from the COVID-19 shortened season. She is a public health major while she added a management information systems minor in order to have the credit hours to play in the fall.

Alexis has played the right wing position throughout her collegiate career. In her four seasons at GC, she has started 31 games of her 60 appearances.

She has scored six goals and tallied six assists, including two crucial goals in the 2021 season. Alexis scored the winning goal in a non-conference road contest against Tusculum College for the second game-winning goal of her career. This past season, she also netted the lone goal in the Peach Belt Conference Quarterfinal game. With that lone goal, she was named to the 2021 All-PBC Tournament Team.

Alexis was a very decorated high school athlete before becoming a standout soccer player at GC. She lettered in soccer, track and gymnastics.

During her high school soccer career, Alexis was named to the All-State, All-Conference, and All-Courant teams. Outside of school, she was a two-time state champion in club soccer.

During her time running track, she set the school record in the 300-meter hurdles and the 4×400-meter relay. Throughout her four years of high school, she was named All-State, All-Area, All-Conference, and team MVP. During her lone year of high school gymnastics, she was the Region Six champion.

Not only was Alexis a great athlete, but she was also successful in the classroom as a scholar athlete for all four years.

The Bergamini twins have played sports together since they could remember. They conquered most sports including softball, basketball, gymnastics, track, and obviously soccer. Growing up,

they found a love for gymnastics and soccer, ultimately choosing soccer as the one they wanted to pursue further. They have competed on the same team throughout college, and this will be the first time Alexis will play without Alyssa.

“I am going to miss Alyssa,” Alexis said. “It’s only gonna be like four months of us being apart. Alyssa and I have always been close, so it’s definitely going to be weird.”

Alexis is a highly praised teammate and athlete. Her teammates praise her for her work ethic and leadership mentality. Her teammates recognize how hard she works, and they know that when she steps on the field, she is giving 110%.

“Alexis is someone I can trust,” said GC midfielder Katelyn Smith. “We work really well together, and our communication on the field is super strong, which is a big part of the forward and defender connection.”

Alexis will return for her final season as a Bobcat in the fall of 2022.