Homecoming History

Homecoming+History

Lilyana Kovecheva, A&L Editor

This Monday, Feb. 21, 2022, GC is kicking off its homecoming celebration. This year’s theme is Feeling 22 (Bobcats Version). GC is planning a week full of activities celebrating all things music in Milledgeville.

Due to pandemic circumstances, Bobcats celebrated their homecoming virtually last year. That was the first year that GC, among many other universities, adapted its festivities to allow for all students and faculty to still celebrate as one.

In the past 12 years, 2021 was the first year that GC didn’t have a celebratory Homecoming Concert.

Over those 12 years, GC has seen a lot of different artists come to celebrate their Homecoming and give bobcats a great performance. GC Aluma Samantha Clay graduated in 2019 and remembers her homecoming experience all four years she was here.

“I was deep into student teaching for the las two years,” Clay said. “But I made sure to go to all my concerts. I remember one
year it was Hoodie Allen. That was a super fun concert, especially because my friends and I were into him in high school. I remember going with all my sorority sisters to the concert and to the basketball game earlier that day. Going to the game was honestly super fun each year. We always went to support our friends on the team.”

Hoodie Allen and X Ambassadors visited Milledgeville in 2017 to give Bobcats an amazing performance.

“That night was amazing,” Clay said. “I swear it makes me feel old reminiscing about it.”

For the past 12 years, after a week packed with fun-filled events, GC topped off their homecoming celebration with a parade, concert, Tent City and a basketball game—where the Homecoming King and Queen are announced.

Alumna Sydney Neubert happily recalled her homecoming experiences, even if her final homecoming experience wasn’t what she’d expected.

“I think that my experience was a unique one to say the least,” Neubert said. “I got to experience it in all its normal glory pre -covid, and I was there for the virtual homecoming in 2021. It did dampen the fact that I didn’t get a “real” senior year homecoming experience but looking back it’s still a good memory.”

Next week, festivities start on Tuesday, February 22 with Taco Twos-day from 2 to 4 p.m. on Front campus. From then, Bobcats can anticipate an office decorating contest, a hypnotist show, tennis matches and basketball games.

Tent City is on Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. and Flo Rida will perform later in the evening.

Christina Gaalema, freshman psychology major, says she’s very excited about this week’s events.

“It really comes down to how much homework I end up having,” Gaalema said. “But I know that I really want to go to this concert. I think it’s really cool that Flo Rida is performing and I’m just excited to go out this weekend and spend time with all my friends.”