Mebane earns PBC player of the week

Mebane+winds+up+to+throw+
Courtesy of GC Athletics
Mebane winds up to throw

In a great week of baseball, GC junior infielder Matthew Mebane was chosen to be the Peach Belt Conference Player of the Week as well as Zaxby’s Player of the Week. The PBC Player of the Week award recognizes his outstanding skill, teamwork and dedication with the team. The Zaxby’s Player of the Week award goes to an athlete who has shown to remarkably be the best player for that week. 

The Bobcats played three contests last week, all of which were conference contests with Flagler College. Throughout that series, he went 6-13 to drive in six RBIs and score three times on two home runs and a double.

Mebane started the three-game series strong by going 2-4 with a run scored in the opening game. In the second matchup, he managed a 1-4 performance, driving in a run. 

Mebane showcased his power in the final game, going 3-5 with two home runs and a double, resulting in five RBIs and two runs scored, sealing the series sweep in style.

“My play against Flagler was pretty good but not perfect, but I think I was putting myself into places to succeed,” Mebane said. “I was seeing the pitches well and taking pitches that were balls that they wanted me to chase and was hitting the balls that I should have been hitting.”

At the end of the week, Mebane tops the conference charts with 14 home runs, ranks fourth in slugging percentage at .768, sits fifth in OPS with 1.201 and holds the sixth position in RBIs.

“Matthew has been one of our hottest hitters this season,” said Lex Kenny, a sophomore right-handed pitcher. “He’s been competing for the most home runs in the D2 conference and has stayed consistent during our games.” 

Mebane’s success on the diamond does not come easily. He has had to work hard to put himself in a position to perform well.

“I think the hard work and dedication to my craft as a hitter is what brings success,” Mebane said. “The hard work that is put in when no one is watching is what makes it easier to hit when game time rolls around.”

His effect on the team goes beyond a game-time performance.

“He brings a lot of positive vibes to our offense,” said Braeden Smith, a freshman outfielder. “Matthew is a great person to have on your team and is always uplifting others.”

The acknowledgement not only honors Mebane’s outstanding individual achievements but also shines a spotlight on the team’s collective talent and skill. Fans can anticipate witnessing both the team’s ongoing success and Mebane’s impressive performances.